No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Anglo Irish Cut Glass Urn Possibly Regency ?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Old Anglo Irish Cut Glass Urn Possibly Regency ?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing your observations and all the information! a fascinating read and very interesting.
It sounds a very complex area of glass collecting  :o
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
hi Carol  -  welcome to the GMB.             By the sound of it you have the sort of enthusiasm that we need  -  suggest we ditch Roy and keep you ;) ;D                Hope to hear from you again.

As said, I don't have Mrs. G.S. book, so can't really comment, but might suggest you put 'Mrs. Graydon Stannus' into the Board's search and read past comments regarding this lady's output.
The books that I mentioned yesterday or whenever, are worth getting, and will help a lot with information regarding English/Irish cut glass from the period in question.

Wish you luck, and remember that the best reason for buying a piece is because you like it. :)             

P.S.    I did suggest to Roy some time back, that he might care to pop in one Tuesday on his way back from Kempton  -  you cud then 'come up and see my cut glass' ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
Hi Paul, thank you for the welcome  :) I do tend to only buy things I like and would use around the house or think I could keep as an heirloom to hand down to the children and tbh it could be in any category of collecting such as glass, jewellery, china, metalwork (both copper & pewter), watches & clocks. Most of my stuff comes from local charity shops or flea markets, antique shops and only the occasional antiques fair in the past.

Collecting for me is slightly trickier than for Roy, Roy predominantly buys with a view to selling so can justify the expense, whereas when I collect it comes out of my part time wages and in the past it rightly was spend on the children first, however the "children" are now 16,18 & 22 and only one at school still, so nowadays although Ive more money for collecting, the urge to collect is dwindling as I get older, mainly because we have a house full, but it is still  nice to pick up odds & ends and I enjoy going round the fairs and shops, its always a nice day out.

I accompanied Roy to Kempton a few months ago , however it is a very early start at 6.30am.  Thank you also for the book suggestions yesterday, ive found 2 at a cheap price on Ebay  and bought them yesterday so thank you, the only one I couldn't find was the Phelps Warren.   

Roy and I would love to pop in another day (after going to Kempton) to see your glass collection :) that is very kind & generous of you and I will make sure Roy takes you up on this invite as he is a little shy, look forward to meeting you one day.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand