No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help me with this piece?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Can anyone help me with this piece?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
I was trawling through my book from Wroclaw museum looking for something else a few minutes ago, but saw something in it that looked similar to your find.

Slightly worryingly, it had "broken" bits that were supposed to be there! I hope you haven't fixed something that wasn't supposed to be fixed!

This IS a very long shot, I don't think it highly likely that a fairly recent major work of Polish art would end up buried in an American garden.
The name of the artist is Maciej Zaborski.
Things come up with a goggle search of images using her name - perhaps you might like to investigate some of the links that come up?.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lana

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
Hi Michael,  it's entirely possible that it was meant to go the other way up.  It is extremely heavy though and the support would have to be very strong, so I just don't know.   As no-one seems to know what it is exactly I'll cut down the end of a candle and it will forever be a candle holder. 

As for the damage, it was resting on the ends in the dirt and when I picked it up there was so much dirt embedded in the "forks" that I didn't realise how much was broken off.  Definitely broken off as the remaining forks were very even in their finish.  So now  I sincerely hope they were broken off and I didn't destroy it, the breaks were pretty ugly looking.  And thanks, I looked up Maciej Zaborski but don't think it is the same artist, but wow, what beautiful pieces.  Is there any chance you can post a pic of the piece you saw?

Forgot to tell everyone it was in an Australian garden, so the Polish connection - Maciej Zaborski - may be even further away.  There was a LOT of glass - primarily Scandinavian - at this garage sale.  I also picked up a soda bubble vase (no label, no signature) and a pair of Whitefriars blue bubble candle holders, which fortunately WERE labeled, but I can't find out their design, together with some Iittala glasses which I could easily identify.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
Unfortunately, the photo I have is in a book. I could photograph that, but I'm not sure about the legalities of posting it here. I see you are messageable via the gmb, I could send you a pic.  :)
You'll just have to wait a little until I can take it.
Apologies for assuming you were in the States! I think it was the use of the expression "garage sale", which I thought was an American thing.  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lana

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
That's okay, there are garage or yard sales all over and nationality doesn't offend me.  In fact, it's Saturday morning here and I'm heading out in search of treasure. It's usually trash/rubbish/garbage, but I have found some interesting pieces.  My husband keeps hoping they will find some medication to cure me. 

I look forward to seeing the pic when you have time. 

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
I would have loved to have seen this as you had found it without the restoration, it's a massive piece of glass, i think it should be the other way up, is there wear to the centre section if it were the "other way up" and that being the base?
Chris Parry

Offline Lana

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »
Hi, no wear at all in the centre piece (for other way up) and no sign of any candle wax either.  It balances perfectly on the "round" end and the signature is centre of the (now) base, but who knows how long it had been living in the garden.  A mystery forever I guess.

I'm sorry I didn't take any pics prior to having it cut down, but it really was sad to see the "teeth" broken off and various intervals, I'm sure it can't have been on purpose, the rest of the piece is gorgeous and frankly it felt like a series of warts in the middle of Angelina Jolie's face - just not possible!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand