No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A New Welz Decor Identified - An Answer to a Long Asked Question.  (Read 620 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
So let’s take a look at the last image group and take an abbreviated walk through some of the links that allow me to feel confident posting this as a Welz décor.

For a start, let’s look at the top left image (1) showing a red and yellow décor and also a green and yellow décor in a glass case identified as Welz production in Passau. The green and yellow example has a label on it. This is an FWK label, indicating that it is a Franz Welz Klostergrab production. Image 1b is an example of the same shape in yet another color variant of the décor with another FWK label. It is also worth noting that the Tango Exhibition of 2012 also showed an example of this décor as Welz, in a covered form produced in the same red and yellow décor. Image 1b is simply a better pic of the Welz case example at Passau.

That décor leads us to a couple of additional shapes… fairly unique shapes in artistically unique decors. Those pieces would be the geometric shapes seen in images 2 and 2a. The décor in red and yellow also links us to another shape as shown in example 3. This same shape can be linked to Welz as shown in example 4 and 4a. Example 4 is the same shape as 3, and in the same decor as 4a. This shape, one I refer to as the Scalloped Fan, is a shape I have identified as a marker for Welz production.

Let us now look to image 5, a shape we have linked to Welz through two different decors and shapes, including labeled shapes, and examine the décor. This is a décor I refer to as “Oxblood & Blue”. Now we move to image 5a, and we can see that the middle example in this image is the same shape as the previously identified vases in 2 & 2a. The left example in this image is one that was lost in a shelving collapse.

Image 5b is the same vase, and an image taken from a different angle. This is mentioned as the shape can appear different depending on the angle it is shot from. It is a Hexagonal form. The image to the left, 6, is also an identified Welz décor in the same shape. There is a small difference between these in that this form is seen with and without a small lip at the edge of the base. Image 7 is the same basic form with a different rim treatment. This example is in a décor I refer to as Green Honeycomb, and is the same décor as seen on the examples in image 7a. These pieces have also been linked to Welz production using the same empirical methods.

Image 5c is simply an image to show that the examples being identified in this post, and the Oxblood and Blue example in image 5a are the same size and shape as photographed with the identical vase

Image 8 is of the pair of vases which were very generously gifted to me as an aid in my research!

The images 8a and 8b are two other examples of the decor with the same surface texture but in the other ground colors seen so far. They are in a light green and also an amber. These examples stand at approx 8 inches in height. Images of those pieces were provided by other collectors for my use.

The ground color of the vases in image 8 is a kind of reddish cranberry, and their appearance varies pretty dramatically depending on the light they are seen in. The image of the pair above with the black background, were taken with direct incandescent light on them, while the images with the white backgrounds were taken with diffused light in a photo cube. The vases stand at 6.5 inches in height and are either 3 or 3.5 inches in diameter at the waist, depending on which angle you measure from.

I am confident that this is a Welz décor and shape on this pair.

There are other additional links which help to support the identification through the use of unique décors and shapes…. But I feel this at least gives a small indication of how I got there…

Examples in the last image are from my collection, and also held in collections world wide by people who assist in my research by providing quality images of their pieces. Without their generous help, this line of study would be much more difficult.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: A New Welz Decor Identified - An Answer to a Long Asked Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »
Fantastic Craig, thank you very much.

Looks like you have found the answer to a fair few bits and pieces there with a pair of Rosetta Stone vases.

This bunch too: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48607.0.html

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »
I am not so sure that the surface texture on those is the same. Quite similar yes, but I do not currently own an example of that decor for direct comparison.... I think there are several different variants of this style of surface texture.   The Welz maze texture is less defined that that decor is, at least on examples I have seen thus far.

I think Welz used this glass decor on other pieces also, ones produced with out the maze style surface texture.

Too early on to tell for sure yet....

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:49:04 PM »
Fabulous vases! the surface decor is gorgeous.  Do these link to the unidentified one page 224 in Das Bohmische Glas band IV?
An incredibly useful and informative piece of research.  Thank you for doing all the work and then for sharing as well.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
Have to say Craig the patterns do look like they match, nothing quite like having items in your hand to compare though. I am almost tempted to send you mine.

Can you post a photo of the base of one of your pair?

John

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »
Thanks M, I enjoy the puzzle and the search. Sharing is the only reason to figure it out as far as I am concerned.

I had not looked at that plate, as I had forgotten about it.  I would say that the example shown there is this Welz decor in a shape I had not remembered seeing. 

John, the bases are small and do not reveal much. Here is the difference I see, and I hope this makes sense.

On the Cranberry example M posted to start the other thread, the thin areas that form the maze are raised and pretty well defined. Fairly easy to determine in the pics of M's example. In the case of these, the thin areas that form the more obvious portion of the pattern are actually depressions and the larger spaces are the areas which are proud of the surface of the glass.

In simpler words, the way the pattern seems to be developed on the two are inversions of each other. The visual result is a similar pattern.

In all cases of this pattern in this decor that I have seen, regardless of the ground color, the pattern, although present on the surface, is less defined than the monochromatic examples like yours and M's.

Hope this helps...

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
This is a Google translation of the vase description in DBG IV

Topaz-colored glass incorporated ruby red, yellow and silver voided frits, preblown in meandering appearance. Mold-blown and freely formed, pressed body twice, two set-in topaz yellow handle. Reduces and iridescent. Edge ground flat.

They also state there is another vase in the same form in their collection.

Although the ground on that example is Topaz, the basic description is a description of the pair I have except for a difference in the ground color and no handles. It also says pressed body, which I am sure relates to the indents in the vessel sides in the PGM example.

Thanks again, M

Craig

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »
Thanks Craig, it is the 'topography' of the pattern I was looking at. It is clear on the base of m's vase, I see the same on the body of yours.

I will play with some photos tomorrow and see if there really is a close match or not, it has been a long day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand