No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Strathearn and 1960s Caithness  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Stuart Strathearn and 1960s Caithness
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 11:03:08 AM »
Interesting so far, are there any others with info about Caithness?

Adam, why not start putting together an article for the site? Once it is up I am sure that others will come along here :-)

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 11:34:38 AM »
my next trip to caithness, which might be at the end of the month, i might be able to look at the old record's for the wick site and they might have some for oban
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 06:13:12 PM »
This sticker is on a bud vase, was this one sold at Caithness, down in London or was it a show piece?

click image

cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 08:03:43 PM »
D C would have exhibited and maybe sold too, but these labels get used for general marking, bet bubbles would like that one.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 08:35:17 PM »
full view

cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 09:16:51 PM »
Ah! Good design and loss of the tradition, now bubbles knows who to blame. :twisted:

Offline Pkay

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 03:07:43 AM »
Hi All,

As far as I know neodymium glass has been made by Caithness since the very early days and was still being made in the 1990's that I know of, but could still be being made today?  
If anybody has a 'thistldown' vase, and can tell us whether or not it's neodymium glass, which it appears to be a possibility judging by the photo's in the 2002 catalogue, that would give us a more recent positive date.  
I have an early Caithness neodymium lamp base, which according to Judith Millers collectables 2004, was designed by Domhnall O'broin, and if correct, then this would point to neodymium being made before the mid 1960's when Domhnall O'broin emigrated to the USA.   I do have a neodymium vase dated 1973, so can positively say that  it was being made as far back as then for certain.

Meanwhile I bought this - a shot glass perhaps. The label is paper pre 1970s, could this be the smallest piece of Caithness hollowware.

Hi Adam, I don't know if you already know this but the item shown is from the 'Camster' range, which I have as being circa 1973, so I've probably got the date wrong if the label is positively known to be pre 70's?.  I was going to add that I would imagine it to have been designed by Colin Terris, who according to '20th Century Glass' by Lesley Jackson, was the sole designer from 1972 to 1986, but obviously this is now doubtful.

Assuming thimbles aren't allowed, the smallest piece I currently have is a miniature bowl which measures just 2inch tall by 3inch diameter (5 x 7½cm), from a range of miniatures that I only know as 'Leaded Flambé', though I haven’t been able to find out whether or not this is the correct name for the range or when they where made.(Link below - Any info appreciated).

I have only become interested in Caithness hollow ware in the last 3 to 4 months, but when you really start to look, there have been many designs made by Caithness over the years that many of us wouldn't immediately recognise as Caithness.  I have bought pieces listed as being anything from Murano, Scandanavian,  Whitefriars(obviously),  and even carnival glass. (Alchemy)
There are the obvious ones such as Rondo, Spinningdale and Flamenco that are instantly recognisable and appear just about everywhere you look, but there's also I would guess going off what I have seen, probably over a hundred hollow ware designs made by the factory over the years, some of which I actually know of, I have yet to see an example appear on ebay.  These are regular production ranges and not limited editions, so you would think that much more variety would be appearing.

I don't think I have seen or identified 20% of their output as yet, but I'm sure someone out there has a lot more knowledge on the subject. Although I'm still new to this, hopefully I'll be able to help in some small way, as and when I manage to find more catalogues, which will be scanned and passed on to Frank for the site.   If anybody has any old Caithness catalogues that they would be willing to part with, please email me with the details.

In the link to my photo album below, you'll find pictures of the very few pieces that I have so far(You'll need to scroll down a bit), but please don't take all the range names or attributions as fact, as some of these are dubious and where only intended as notes for myself.  If anybody has any positive i.d's for any of the ranges, I'd be grateful to hear from you.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/?start=all

I think it's safe to assume that there's a lot yet to be learned about the hollow ware from Caithness, which seems to have been completely ignored by most, myself included until recently, with very little written information about this area of output at all, and yet there's an abundance of information available on their paperweight production.  It would be good to see if this balance of information can be levelled up a little bit at long last!

I'll look forward to reading further posts on the subject from more knowledgable board members soon I hope.

Best wishes
Pete.

P.s.  Frank,  I have another 5 or 6 catalogues to scan for you but my scanner's on the blink at the moment, although I will get them to you as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay.   :oops:
kay

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 06:14:07 AM »
No problem  :)  Nearly finished the first batch which is already enough to create a wave. Certainly interesting post and I fully agree it is one of the worst documented Scottish glass. It is going to be interesting to see it unfold.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 06:42:37 AM »
Love your album Pete. I even found a little Caithness vase in it that is sitting on my table waiting to be i'd. Will be returning for a better browse :D

Offline Pkay

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 06:27:43 PM »
Frank,
 I forgot to mention that the 1989 catalogue has all the thimbles listed, which should be of interest to quite a few people judging from the current bids these seem to be attracting on ebay at the moment.  :o   Hopefully scanner will be fixed shortly.

Love your album Pete. I even found a little Caithness vase in it that is sitting on my table waiting to be i'd. Will be returning for a better browse

Hi Lustrousstone,
Thankyou, glad you like the album.  
I would imagine that most people will have at least one piece of Caithness in their collection that can be positively identified as more information emergies.  I know I have a couple myself which are possible contenders but I just haven't been able to confirm them as Caithness as yet.  

I'm glad you've identified one of yours already, what we need now is more photo's of known Caithness hollow ware to be added from other board members, as my paltry few are just the tip of the iceberg!  Surely somebody out there has a substantial collection and the knowledge to go with it???

Pete.
kay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand