No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Confirmation / Additional Information for Stevens Williams Vase  (Read 1799 times)

Offline snesbit

• Members
Confirmation / Additional Information for Stevens Williams Vase
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
The original collector of this vase had identified it as Stevens & Williams.  It wasn't a line I recognized so I thought I'd see if anyone could confirm or provide additional information.

The piece measures 8 1/8" high and 3 3/4" wide. Unfinished pontil mark, appropriate looking foot ring fine wear.

TIA!

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Confirmation / Additional Information for Stevens Williams Vase
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
Oooooh, it's lovely! And something about the swirl makes me think of a Caithness vase I have on my shelf!

Carolyn

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
Very unusual,can't say I've ever seen one like it,attributed to S&W's that is,doesn't mean it isn't though, ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:17 AM »
Is the rim fire polished? and please could we have a clear picture of the unfinished pontil mark?

I'm not saying it is, because I really don't know, but the shape matches a vase c.1900 by Thomas Webb. The vase is pictured in Gulliver's Victorian Glass page 151 bottom right.  It is the same shape but plain uncoloured glass body and then has a large swagged pulled feathered multi coloured  decoration on it.
That one measures 6.25" high by 2.75" wide and proportionately looks to be the same shape as your vase.
Perhaps yours is from a similar 'range' although it looks to be a more sophisticated than the one in the book because of the techniques used on yours.
It's a lovely vase btw.
m

Offline snesbit

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:57:53 AM »
Thanks for the input.

The rim is fire polished.  I checked the reference from Gulliver, the form is quite similar. 

I actually have a Webb vase from the pictured draped range.  On initial comparison they seem a bit dissimilar.  The diamond optic vase is heavier / somewhat thicker which would be expected with the molded pattern.  The draped has a very well finished base (large polished circular pontil area and foot ring).  But I'll look further in that direction.

I'll take some additional pics of the pontil mark and post shortly.

Again, thanks for the lead.

Shawn

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 01:05:59 AM »
There is another one on page 153 and actually your shape and rim seem a better match for that one, the rim on that one is just a tad more flared somehow.
I'd love to see a pic of both your vases side by side if you had time to do pics and wouldn't mind sharing. 
Many thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »
There is a thread here with a diamond moulded bowl on it identified as Stevens and Williams'.
The pics of the moulding and a side on view are not great so it's very difficult to tell if it is the same kind of moulding as your vase, but I thought you might like to see it for comparison.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26670.msg146507.html#msg146507
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »
ah, Do you have Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass.
On page 142 there is a Thomas Webb vase centre of top picture that appears to have the same diamond moulding on as your vase.
It's amethyst, and not the same shape, but I think the moulded pattern is the same as yours.

By the way - are the colours on your vase applied on the outer layer?  or are they trailed and the the vase cased in clear over them?
I hope you are receiving email responses to your post :)
m

Offline snesbit

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
Thanks for the additional posts and all your efforts in providing more insight on this piece.

So sorry for the delay in responding, been on a downward spiral with my rheumatoid arthritis the last week and am having a tough time getting about.  More time spent at the clinic than home it seems, argh!

Don't have Hajdamach, but appreciate the reference.

The colors are trailed / cased under the clear exterior. 

Again, thanks!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »
 I'm very sorry to hear that.

I will try and see if I can find an online reference to the diamond moulded vase, so I can show you what it looks like to compare the mould.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand