No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible George Davidson 'Moonshine' pearline.  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Possible George Davidson 'Moonshine' pearline.
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
In view of the scarcity of 'moonshine' 'pearline'  -  the Board's search archive seems not to have example  -  plus the fact that good quality coloured pics of this variety are very thin on the ground  -  I'm now unsure if this is moonshine.            There is a picture in the Stewart's book, which coincidentally is an identical oval pattern dish from the (1888) 945 suite - a design first Registered on 31st March 1888 - under Board of Trade Registration No. 96945, and the number can be seen in the centre of the dish.
The Stewart's book is the only source I can find that offers a coloured picture of moonshine, and as you'd expect from a book devoted entirely to Davidson, the authors provide some very interesting information of all three forms of pearline.

These authors suggest that moonshine may possibly have been the first of the pearline colours  -  which they describe as a 'colourless' variety of pearline.                The Stewarts also comment that contemporary sources (presumably Victorian) don't provide confirmation of the use of the word 'moonshine', and that this name was given to this white variety at a later date by collectors, rather than the factory.           This is borne out by the fact that I'm unable to find the word 'moonshine' in any of my books that include references to C19 pressed glass.
In view of the apparent short-lived production of 'moonshine', plus the date of Registration for suite 945, then it's quite likely that this particular piece was pressed in the late C19.
According to the Stewart's, 'moonshine' appears most often to be found in items from the 945 suite.

Other similar colours such as opalescent and blanc de lait are similar, although both of these seem (to me) to fluoresce with a sunset glow strongly  -  whereas this piece shows very little in the way of a sunset glow.

If anyone can point me in the direction of other quality pix showing 'moonshine', I've be very grateful  -  and in the meantime I'm waiting patiently for confirmation of what to call this piece. ;D
Thanks for looking. :)

Ref.  'DAVIDSON GLASS' a histgory'  -  Chris and Val Stewart  -  2005  (pages 82 - 86).          I understand the book is out of print, and alghough there was some talk of a CD rom replacement, this hasn't appeared yet.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Possible George Davidson 'Moonshine' pearline.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »
Just discovered that Sheilagh Murray  - 'The Peacocks and the Lions' does mention the word 'moonshine', and shows two pieces described as - 'a Moonshine Pearline Basket' and 'toilet bottle'.
This is the oldest reference to this variety of pearline I can find in my books  -  and although I've always thought of this book as being quite oldish, it is in fact dated 1982  - the whole book seems to have an old fashioned look.

The Stewarts don't quote their source for the name, so no idea as to how old they are suggesting it might be.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
I can’t find a reference to Davidson ‘moonshine’ earlier than Murray either.

I have mild aversion towards some of the non-contemporary pattern names and colours used by American (and often other) collectors to describe Davidson pieces – ‘Richelieu’ for RD 96945, ‘Brideshead’ for RD 130641, Lady Chippendale for RD 176566, etc., and, of course, the ubiquitous ‘vaseline’ (notorious for its imprecision), so perhaps ‘moonshine’ should be regarded with the same quizzical caution, though it may seem over-pedantic to do so in some circles.

I simply regard Davidson so-called ‘moonshine’ pieces as having  a clear, colourless glass body with milky or opaque opalescent white (or sometimes white with a  mere tinge of blue) highlights, but would edge my bets in most descriptions by calling them “clear opalescent / ‘moonshine’” to try and keep everyone happy.

Firstly, a photo (© Barry Fuller) of a Davidson basket RD 130643 (registered 13 August 1889) that I would regard as definitely being in clear opalescent / ‘moonshine’. The clear part is very clear, with just the merest tinge of blue in parts of the opalescence.

Then, for comparison, a Davidson posy basket RD 96945 (registered 31 March 1888) that has a noticeable pale blue tinge throughout., though much paler than I would normally expect from Davidsons’s pale blue pearline. (© Alison Threadgold).

Thirdly, an oval Davidson dish RD 96945, similar to Paul’s dish but the opalescence is much more extensive – the clear bits are really clear, but the opalescence still seems to have a tinge of blue in places. I would regard these two oval dishes as being examples of clear opalescent /‘moonshine’. (© Jamie Ward)

Finally, a photo (© Rob Young) showing some Davidson RD 96945 pieces in a range of opalescent colours – the two pieces in the centre are definitely pale blue pearline, the oval dish on the left seems to have a definite hint of blue to the opalescence and to the clear parts too, and the oval dish on the right would accord with my understanding of clear opalescent / ‘moonshine’.

Perhaps the true clear opalescent / ‘moonshine’ opalescence was very difficult to produce consistently, and that sometimes a hint of blue crept into the whole of the glass body (though not so blue as to be really classed as true pale blue opalescent). Opalescent pieces are quite difficult to photograph so that the colours in the photograph accurately depict (or seem to depict) those as experienced when viewing the piece ‘in the flesh’ (and even then the ambient lighting and the background can have a significant effect).

I’ve looked through all of my Davidson photo reference files, and the only clear opalescent / ‘moonshine’ examples I can find are RD 96945 and RD 1430643. I can’t recall ever have seen unregistered Davidson designs in clear opalescent / ‘moonshine’.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »
thanks for your comprehensive reply Fred  -  much appreciated. :)

Think I had been looking at too much Sowerby yesterday  -  products such a 'blanc de lait' and opalescent - and these had confused me.
As this dish is obviously Davidson, then there is really nothing else it might be, other than moonshine (or whatever else you wish to call this colourless/white pearline).

I'd suggest that like other novelty types of coloured/complex glass, there is the potential with pearline for some degree of variation in the proportion of the finished product which appears opaque.                     Perhaps if a piece is re-struck for longer than usual then this will increase the amount of visible opaque white appearance, and too little will obviously produce the opposite effect.
As mentioned, this dish produces very little of the real sunset glow  -  perhaps it contained less arsenic and phosphate of lime - neither do I see any blue in my dish.

Anyway, moonshine (or whatever else we call it) seems to be far less common than either the blue or primrose pearline - and a good find, and you're welcome to use my pix if of any use.           If nothing else, between the two of us - plus those who supplied the pix in your links - we have provided the Board with images of some genuine white pearline.
I suppose there's nothing wrong with calling this variety simply 'white pearline' :)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:54:16 PM »
Paul,

here's another picture for your gallery.

Kind regards

Andrew

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
Thank you for showing this basket, Andrew.

Interesting that it is yet another example based on Davidson's RD 96945.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
yes, many thanks Andrew, for posting  -  a very nice piece too.  :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:45:07 PM »
What a lovely piece, thanks for sharing your photos of it, Andrew.  :) 

I have yet to see a piece of moonshine "in vitro" as against in a picture but I live in hope!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand