No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: need info on piece for charity auction!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline katrinastoybox

• Members
need info on piece for charity auction!
« on: May 15, 2006, 03:51:30 AM »
hi!
i hope someone can help a bit here- we aquired this piece for a charity auction we are having this sunday, 5/21
http://www.katrinastoybox.com/dog.htm
at first i thought it was just a piece of nice glass, and was going to have a very low reserve, but then i saw this:
http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/dolphinacollectibles/iteml/1389#pic1

i did a little research, and got a blacklight and my dog glows like neon green under it- it also has a polished bottom, and gold strands inside- it is so close to the one on ruby lane, but hers looks more cartoonish compared to mine. i don't know if what we have is something more than just a nice glass dog! the money raised goes to a childrens charty so i of course want to get all i can for it, especially if it is worth more than 20 bucks!
can anyone tell me about my poodle?
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dottie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:48:18 AM »
Don't know anything about Murano, but he certainly looks a nice piece of vaseline (uranium) glass to me. He looks like a poodle for a start! I would say he was worth more than 20 bucks.

I've just found him in Dave Petersen's book Vaseline Glass: Canary to Contemporary under Murano. His 2003 book price was $75. Will have a look later to see if there is any more info in the book. Work calls :(

Offline katrinastoybox

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
thank you soooooooo much! this will be a huge help when i list it for the auction- i do want to make sure i list it right when i sell it- i am not sure what canary to contemporary means?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
Don't worry about the "Canary to Contemporary" in relation to your dog; it is just part of the book's title. Canary was one of the names given to the yellow uranium-containing glass in the 1800s.

Your dog was made in the 1950s or 60s in Murano from red glass cased with vaseline glass.

Have a look here http://www.vaselineglass.org/ for more info on vaseline glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand