No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peacock coloured rectangular decanter. ID = Hadeland, Norway  (Read 3665 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Peacock coloured rectangular decanter. ID = Hadeland, Norway
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
Hi all,this piece is heavy with two seams and a polished pontil,i'm thinking Italian,but i really don't know,there is hardly any wear and sadly under very close inspection when i got home a small crack deep in the glass leaving you thinking how it could happen with no surface damage ???,don't you just hate it when that happens ::) ::),any ideas on origin and not least how it was made,many thanks.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Peacock coloured rectangular decanter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »
Hi, I was going to start afresh for info on a green version of this decanter but found this thread so thought I would revive it. I have seen them in online shops (most with very optimistic prices) and auctions attributed as: Whitefriars; reminiscent of Whitefriars; Scandinavian; and Empoli!

Did you ever find any information on this bat20? My green one does have wear to the bottom and I had assumed maybe 1970’s/1980’s Eastern European. It would be good to know where it’s actually from if anyone has any info now. The ground pontil scar on my decanter isn’t as perfectly round as the one on this post and the top of the stopper is ground and polished flat.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
Hi,I've seen a few online described as Hadeland glass,but I can't confirm that.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
Couple more opaque examples here: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54466.0.html

After nearly ten years still think Empoli is as good a bet as any for these...

John

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Thanks, I see Hadeland still throws up a few and I’d not previously found the thread on the link. Often it’s difficult guessing the right key words to search.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 09:58:53 PM »
You are right with Hadeland, pattern called Ridder, seems to translate as Knight. There is a matching vase too, seen quite a few decanters over the years but never a vase.

Shown in this 1965 Hadeland catalogue, page 16 for the vase and 30 for the decanter: https://www.matslinder.no/2016/05/14/hadeland-katalog-fra-1965/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand