No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The best cameo work?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: The best cameo work?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
That is really sad.
Is there any way of promoting it to the younger audience?
After all, America is responsible for the birth of the Studio Glass Movement, an entire new genre of art, it should be something that is shouted about from the rooftops!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
PBS has a series on made in america crafts, but it is on PBS which is not widely seen by younger audiences and I am not sure I entirely agree with many of their selections of crafts people to showcase. 

It is not just glass, but also other art forms such as silver smithing where there are few places left where it goes on and even fewer young people interested in putting in the years of apprenticeship.  Art pottery is in there as well.  In my personal opinion what is coming out these days not only from glass studios but silver and art pottery and paintings and so on just does not have the same level of breathtaking results that you see in the old stuff.  You can become competent with years of experience, but the big name old stuff is more than the product of competent crafts people, it is high art and for that you need a very large number of competent practicioners to get one or two real master artists.  For example, how many names like Galle or Tiffany are there from their era vs. how many crafts people were there?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
We all have very different tastes - thankfully - or we'd all be after the same things!  ;D

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »
That is really sad.
Is there any way of promoting it to the younger audience?
After all, America is responsible for the birth of the Studio Glass Movement, an entire new genre of art, it should be something that is shouted about from the rooftops!

Major problem is we have no major glass producers left except Blenko. L.E. Smith & Fenton & Steuben are now defunct although the Fenton factory (only) now owned by the U.S. Glass Co. may reopen the plant & make commercial glass for Walmart, but Fenton family is not involved. Most of our new glass in now imported. The studio industry I believe has had its day although there are a few of the larger commercial studio operations such as Lundberg Studios that are doing quite well, but the smaller operations that started a couple of decades ago are...well I'll be polite here...shrinking. I mean if you compare studio ops whats left compared with even a decade ago... probably 90% are gone. Thats not to say though that new ventures do not start, they do, but with questionable chances of survival.

Bottom line is it has little to do with craftsmanship, designs, big names, etc. it has everything to do with the indisputable fact that the younger crowd under 35 does not give two hoots about anything glass except they can buy it at Target or Walmart & I think I am on pretty solid footing here with 38 years experience in glass collecting/buying/selling in the U.S. We have fully embraced the "I" you name it 21st century electronics civilization.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »
I've been searching for a better reference for this amazing cameo pokal from Josephinenhutte.
This is a better picture which enlarges, plus a full description from the Passau Glass Museum.
If I have read the description correctly, it says that Josephinenhutte was producing this kind of cameo work from 1846!

using google translate on the article the quote translates directly as:
'Josephinenhütte had started very early to make such wonderful relief cut engravings. This has been demonstrated already in 1846 and documented even by a personal letter of Count Schaffgotsch.(Compare Mainardus 1909) The first glass was made ​​after a glass vase by Prof. tooth in Pompei found in a grave next to the Casa delle quattro times Colonne a Musaico.' 
(please go to the link to see the original description untranslated)

http://www.glasmuseum.de/index.php?id=1316&L=

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
According to some of the suppliers in the studio glass business, there are actually several thousand small studios operating in the US. Most are not of the magnitude and high production of some of those from the 70's and 80's. Most go about doing their marketing in different ways than the earlier ones, but if you attend the Rosen wholesale craft market show in the winter and the summer, you'll see many glass studios represented.  IN the late 70's there were only about 350-450 studios in the US. A lot of the studios now market thru the high end galleries and if you watch what they have for sale at SOFA you would be amazed. Works by the real artists are only sold thru a group of high end galleries. If you get the chance sometime check out the gift shop at the Corning Museum of Glass and you'll find some of the best contemporary glass in the world from a multitude of small studios and producers in the US. Many of these studios are have a very small staff, but what they produce is fantastic.
I agree the days of the big studios and factories are a thing of the past.
The younger crowd does spend a lot of money on glass though, but it is in a somewhat underground market known as the "pipe market". It's amazing how much money is spent on pipes and what some of them sell for. The flame working segment of the glass industry has developed and has 1000's of people producing and some of it is amazing. Paul Stankard has written several papers on this subject and has been overwhelmed at what is being produced.
I also agree that the younger generation has entirely different attitudes towards personal possessions and the things they value. Technology has changed our view of the world. How many of us have saved that 1st computer we paid 1000's of dollars for in the 80's. who even bothers to keep the one they had several years ago and phones are another good example. I'm really old and can't grasp all of this but wish I was young enough and savy enough to be on the development end of the 3-D glass printers. In the next 25 years, who knows what kind of paperweights may be produced on these machines.

Major problem is we have no major glass producers left except Blenko. L.E. Smith & Fenton & Steuben are now defunct although the Fenton factory (only) now owned by the U.S. Glass Co. may reopen the plant & make commercial glass for Walmart, but Fenton family is not involved. Most of our new glass in now imported. The studio industry I believe has had its day although there are a few of the larger commercial studio operations such as Lundberg Studios that are doing quite well, but the smaller operations that started a couple of decades ago are...well I'll be polite here...shrinking. I mean if you compare studio ops whats left compared with even a decade ago... probably 90% are gone. Thats not to say though that new ventures do not start, they do, but with questionable chances of survival.

Bottom line is it has little to do with craftsmanship, designs, big names, etc. it has everything to do with the indisputable fact that the younger crowd under 35 does not give two hoots about anything glass except they can buy it at Target or Walmart & I think I am on pretty solid footing here with 38 years experience in glass collecting/buying/selling in the U.S. We have fully embraced the "I" you name it 21st century electronics civilization.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand