No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Webb 1950s vase with bubbles  (Read 507 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Possible Webb 1950s vase with bubbles
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
Hi Everyone. I do not know if this is familiar to anyone....... It is a nice vase with polished concave pontil rod mark. It has a spiral of bubble swirling down to the base from the lip in a gentle spiral. The colour of the glass and form made me think 1950's.... Does anyone by any chance recognise it?

thanks

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Possible Webb 1950s vase with bubbles
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
could be wrong Robert, but it doesn't look very T/Webb to me...........       in their designs such as Flair and the Hammond pieces the bubbles are more regulated than this.
How about Erickson (States)?               Is it your lighting, or am I seeing a slight band of darker smoky colour?
Vases can be the devil  -  probably more of them than anything else, in the C20. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Possible Webb 1950s vase with bubbles
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »
Thanks Paul. The glass is clear, just has a slight yellow tint I tend to associate with older clear glass. I know the Webb Flair range have had a couple of those, I suspect this is older, the glass feels older than the Flair pieces I have seen, more fifties. I have quite a few fifties pieces in my collection and this seems more in that direction than sixties to me. I appreciate the warning re. attribution. Sometimes pieces must remain unidentified..... amazing how some pieces manage to be anonymous when they obviously came from a decent factory and were not cheap at the time of making..... GMB certainly helps sometimes unexpectedly.... All the bubbles seem deliberately elongated vertically, that may help with the attribution. They are also slightly raised externally, as if it was a thin applied band of glass containing the bubbles.

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand