No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19thC Green Glass Torpedo Paperweight  (Read 4028 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: 19thC Green Glass Torpedo Paperweight
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »
Good ones, with maybe some scratches, should do around £50, bad ones £20 to £30.  They almost always have lots of scratches and multiple bruises because they are after all doorstops and around 100 years old!

If you wanted it as a doorstop then at £27 with the refund then I think it's fine.

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »
Using the correct channels with eBay and going through their resolution system so there is a record of all correspondence when there is a problem is always preferable to having your dsr's and feedback trashed by a disgruntled buyer. Contacting the seller privately leaves you with no evidence of who said what to whom.

I standby what I said.

and I'm pleased you got it sorted out

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 08:06:18 PM »
Surely it is as easy to contact the seller through ebay's own messaging system?
You can have a one-to-one correspondence with them, but the records of everything said will still be on ebay for later, if you need proof later.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »

I use a couple of these Victorian green glass dumps as door stops - they work very well. Mine have big chunks missing, but that does not affect how well they do the job. If you want a perfect example to sit on a shelf as an 'object d'art', you may have to search around...and pay top prices.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline gkep

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • London England
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
I got my refund back today, in the past 12 months the seller has sold 829 items with only 2 negative feedbacks, I was going to leave neutral feedback mentioning his prompt refund etc but now feel a bit guilty about spoiling his good track record.

Shall I give negative or just no feedback?
George

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
A negative is unwarranted, given you got a prompt refund.
Neutral, with a mention of the prompt refund, would not really spoil their record - if somebody was searching the feedback, they'd home in on the neutrals and negatives, and a neutral which mentions the refund is not a bad thing.
Or just leave no feedback.

What have they given you? Have they given feedback?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
Have to disagree.  The seller has given the refund and resolved the problem without much if any problem.  Even a Neutral is a negative in the eyes of a buyer, so leaving either is really bad in my opinion.

As for immediately using the SNAG or reporting a problem.  The ebay guidelines CLEARLY state you should only use that as a last resort and to contact the seller via the messaging system first.  So BFG, No, you are wrong, even ebay say you are.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
 ;)
Maybe I'm more forgiving of neutrals. I always read all the responses and try to give the sellers and buyers the benefit of the doubt.
I know there are bad on both sides.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

bfg

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
I have no intention of entering into a slanging match over this.

Contacting the seller through ebay about an item not as described will automatically open a case. It is not escalated until 8 days later if both buyer & seller cannot reach a mutual agreement

I refer you to ebays help page I posted above,  here:

http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?search=1&query=1735&popularTool=true&st=0&popularToolName=My%20item%20doesn%27t%20match%20the%20seller%27s%20description

and in particular this paragraph:

If you haven't already, contact the seller through My eBay or the Resolution Centre to let them know that you haven't received the item or it doesn't match the seller's description. This will open a case so that we can help you track the issue.

This was a buyer who joined our forum to seek help over an ebay problem purchase. They were disappointed with the transaction which was why I posted the help page  link and also the link to the buyers community help board on ebay

As they had posted here it seemed to me they needed this information and to be reassured they hadn't lost their money or been 'conned'

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »
 Hi .
       Some crossed wires here re the interpretations of ebay guidelines , I visited an Item I had just bought,clicked on the sellers ID which gave me the opportunity to contact the seller, clicking contact , , then asked to select topic , I selected not as described,

up comes   " What can I do about an item that's damaged, defective, not as expected or has missing parts?"

"  You should first contact the seller to try to reach a solution or let them know that you'd like to return the item. Most sellers want to help their buyers resolve any problems with the transaction.

" Remember that your purchase is covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee. If the seller doesn't respond or isn't able to help resolve the problem to your satisfaction within 8 calendar days, you can escalate and open a case with Customer Support.

within 8 days !!!!!
  so contacting the seller does not automatically open a case , and as eBay advises you should first try and resolve the problem with the seller.

cheers ,
                Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand