No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Creamer 7-Sided Base  (Read 1932 times)

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
Help with Creamer 7-Sided Base
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
 Hi,   I'm posting here from Canada, and am looking for help with finding out more about this creamer.  It is driving me crazy, but anyhow, I'm sure yall know what that's like (that is, anyone who looks at glass for too long, too often).   It is a colourless creamer, at least partly made in a mold (sorry if that sounds stupid), with an applied handle w curlicue.  The rim / spout are rounded and smooth.  The pedestal base has 7 sides.  The body has horizontal 'steps' (can't remember term, sorry).  My mother-in-law thought it to be Waterford, but this was her general word for Irish glass, and she thought it was pre-1852.  It is a little over 4" h,  and across the base, just under 4".  It is a heavy thing, at over 500 g.  I would be so appreciative of any help.  ::)
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
Re: Help with Creamer 7-Sided Base
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
I found these diagrammes on the Google Online Molineaux Webb catalogue that some kind and generous person has uploaded.  These pieces seem very very close. 
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
Neil kindly emailed me back and he says although he believes it to be c. 1850, that it is not in his catalogues.
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
Sorry I can't help, but thank you for reporting back and hopefully one day someone will recognise the pattern.
It's very pretty btw.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:04:49 AM »
It is more helpful when replies are posted to the Board direct - so my thanks also for keeping us up-to-date.
Out of curiosity, did Waterford produce pressed glass  -  I tend to think of them as cut only - but really don't have a clue.

I like your name for the top-down handle, and on the basis of the shape of this handle Neil is justified in confirming a pre 1860 date - I was wondering why the suggestion of 'pre 1852'. :)

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »

Thanks!!  It *is* pretty.  It's only a matter of time, I guess...at least a few IDs have been eliminated. 

Ellen
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »

Hi Paul,

'Pre-1852' is the name of the file my late mother-in-law had this item filed under.  I'm not sure if it Waterford made pressed glass or not.   Thanks for your interest.

Ellen
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
I get the impression that Waterford made cut glass products only  -  their glass is described usually as Waterford Crystal  -  lot of history on Wiki that goes back over 200 years, and worth reading.
If this piece had a British Board of Trade Rd. No. - in the form of a diamond lozenge  -  then we might be successful in locating details etc., BUT of course it doesn't.
Your mother-in-law obviously liked filing under quite particular dates - at least she seemed to have this one dated fairly accurately. :)

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 01:20:37 AM »
Hi Paul,  I wish my MIL had left more detailed notes.  There is so much more info available now than when she did her collecting 1950s-1980s.   She would have loved the internet (or what a glass search would dig up). 

The edges have such nice definition that at first I thought the glass was cut.  A losenge would have indeed been helpful. 

Thanks for all your help and encouragement, everyone.  I will post any leads I get or when the mystery is solved.

Ellen
Ontario, Canada
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand