No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Label?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline BDG55

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • USA
Archimede Seguso Label?
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:17:53 AM »
I just found something I find puzzling.  While browsing on Molto Bella Glass, I found a Archimede Seguso Losanghe Vase of which I own two.  Both of them have the glue residue of the original label.  Or so I thought. The one at Molta Bella was purportedly, "packed away for decades and never displayed, only recently discovered".  Looking at the pictures, I saw the same "glue residue" as on mine.  This has me thinking that it might not be glue after all but actually etching.  Has anyone seen this before?  Any information would be appreciated. 

http://www.moltabellaglass.com/items/614927/item614927store.html#item

Thank You
Rick

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Archuimede Seguso Label?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
If its glue residue, you should be able to scrape it off with your fingernail. If not, it may be that the glue has etched the glass. I don't think it's deliberate etching, as the marks are too inconsistent.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
The shape and wording is correct for Seguso,  so you may prefer to leave it,  even if it is only glue residue, as it is proof that the item is Seguso and did once bear an authentic label.... just a thought.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
I didn't mean scrape it all off, just a tiny sample...

Offline BDG55

• Members
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »
Yes Christine, I understood you meant to scratch only a small area.  I did, and it doesn't come off.  Something I did notice, is when I feel it with my nail, I can actually feel the mark.  In the past I had only rubbed it with my finger and felt nothing.  What baffles me, is that three different vases of the same style have the same marking.  Has anybody heard of this happening on other pieces of glass?  Also, how can a label, which is embossed on the top, bleed through to the glass?  Lastly, if the vase listed at Molta Bella has never been displayed, where could the label have gone?  I find all of this very interesting.  Thank you for your responses.

Rick

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
The label will have had an embossed appearance on the back, so only some of the glued surface will have contacted the glass. The marks are not identical enough to have been made with a stencil. This may explain the marking, http://angelgilding.com/media/documents/Glue_Chip_Instructions.pdf
Scroll down
For the Molta Bella vase the label probably dried out and fell off.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
Sorry Christine,  I thought you meant scrape it all off!...  I should have realised that you meant just try to see if a fingernail could remove some of it.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline BDG55

• Members
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
Thanks so much Christine.  Now THAT makes sense.  I just found it such a coincidence that a 3 of the same style vases developed the same transfer.  Thank you very much for your help.  I can now sleep again lol.

Regards
Rick

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:08:19 AM »
Beautiful pieces.  The story of them being found packed away rings true. A few years ago a few of these pieces came on the market in pristine condition. I seem to remember that they were packed in straw in the original wooden crates in which they had been exported.

With pieces like this the label isn't quite so important as the design is well documented and the quality of the work speaks for itself. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline BDG55

• Members
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments David.  I agree, the label is not important on these pieces as they are marked and obviously Seguso.  I just found the whole label glue etching so interesting.  I love Murano glass and want to know as much as possible, so these little things are part of the learning process.

Thanks Again
Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand