No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett tumbler?  (Read 726 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Webb Corbett tumbler?
« on: March 15, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
Hi all ,i found these three glasses recently,only one with the Webb Corbett made in England stamp,they are really thick in the base as you can see from the photo and i've had them down a whiskey glasses,but i'm not so sure with the flared rim,they are 4"tall,any thoughts many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:44:27 PM »
just a personal view, but I tend to think of whiskey glasses as being fairly thick, straight sided and quite wide, these might be more suited as water tumbers.                  Are they really all 4" tall? :)
When you've researched them and discovered the design name, you can post some pix on the 05 Crystal reference site in the Glass Marks and Labels section ;) ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:19 AM »
Yup,4" tall give or take a nats..the one at the back is 5.5" pint size.The acid etched mark is the one for 1930 to 47,i was hoping it was a pattern you might know Paul ;)i'll keep looking :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
some time back I was in the habit of spending much time on the Replacements sites  -  but discovered it was a sure fire way of getting headaches  -  those places can have you staring at the screen for hours - and even then you don't always get an id.

Yes, I did look up the mark to see which years, and I'm tempted to think that for designs from those earlier periods there is perhaps less of a chance of finding a match  -  the site images tend to be of more recent patterns, say post 1950.

Subsequent to this period, W/Corbet did make the job easier for us by providing indications for either the exact year, or within a very close range.          Upper case S or T apparently indicated Stourbridge or Tutbury in the late 1940's, and following on from that a star was used for both factories between 1949 and 52.                  After this you will find the actual year shown within the backstamp, starting with 52, and going on to at least 64, although Roger Dodsworth -  'Brit. Glass Between the Wars' - seems to suggest year dates ceased in 59 but I've certainly had one showing 64.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
I've found one Paul ,described as T webb normandy pattern,but with no mark i think.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »
sorry, you lost me there ;D   what exactly have you found?

There are several pix of T/Webb 'Normandy' on the 05/Crystal site - page 8 I think - together with a pic of the backstamp.                Looking at the page again it seems that when I added that one I put 'post 66' as a start date for the design, so presumably not an old pattern - but not really sure now.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
Sorry, i meant i found one on ebay described as T. Webb normandy pattern,mine are defo Webb Corbett.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand