No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Monart? ID = Confirmed  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Is this Monart? ID = Confirmed
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »
I have seen some similar vases on the Scotland's Glass site, but I can't immediately see this shape, although it is very similar to the Q shape without the handles.  It has stripes and pieces of mica inside the glass, and is aprox 7.25 inches tall.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Is this Monart?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »
Have a look on Ysartglass at RA shape - looks very similar and at just over 7" it's not too out to a size VII, pontil  mark looks right to me - it's  beautiful object, but I can't confirm if it is or isn't, see if someone with more experience has a look - Gary or Frank?

Roberta
Roberta

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
Just had a look at Q - the pattern and colouring does look similar. Is the foot just clear glass - is the pattern on the photo just being picked up as a reflection from the body of the vase?

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »
You are correct Roberta it is a Monart vase shape RA.
A real nice piece.
Gary

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
The foot is part of the body, so the pattern continues into the foot, then there is a clear glass blob which sticks out from the foot over the pontil.

Thanks Gary and Roberta for the positive ID, that is good to know.

I saw this thread earlier http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53074.0.html  which seemed to indicate that a vase like this in a different colour had made a tremendous price on ebay - any ideas for what is a more realistic current value for this vase please?

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
Hi,

It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!

Roberta
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
It is absolutely Monart, yes.
I would think that something like this would happily find it's own price in the market.

You might like to consider which market you would like to use though, it is an unusual, good and highly desirable piece of glass indeed.
I would think in £100s, not £1,000s, but you never know - there might be another completely OTT bidding frenzy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
Thanks Sue :) 

I do find pricing really good items the hardest bit of dealing in glass, especially as being disabled and not driving I don't get out and about very much.

Going to my first ever glass fair this year at Cambridge was an eye opener for the prices.  Things I had sold for £20 were there for several hundred!  I can't manage online selling so I only sell in my units at Elsecar and Sheffield. 

I will probably put this into my unit at Elsecar, although I have flirted with the idea of saving my best pieces and taking them to a glass fair one year.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
I do know about your desperate troubles and all the rocks and hard places you struggle to survive between.  :-*
(That's why I'm saying a bit more than I normally would.)
You could always try it at something around £450-500-ish, see if anybody bites. They might not.

But this is the sort of thing that might do ok in one of the big Bonham's glass auctions, or even a 99p start on ebay.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Is this Monart? ID = Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
I think (IMHO) Sue is maybe a bit optimistic on the estimate of £450 to £500 at the present time.
The shape RA is one of the commonest shapes Monart produced, though on the plus side the type of decoration, known as herringbone and is a fairly rare type of decoration.
I believe it to be an early piece of Monart 1920's to 1939.
It is a piece I would happily have in my collection.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand