No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy diamond (crisscross) cut crystal vase  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Heavy diamond (crisscross) cut crystal vase
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Christine does as well, I believe  -  although not sure of the origin of that particular expression  -  S. & F. for example simply refer to these things as carafe and tumbler.            Is it an 'ism' from the other side of the pond ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 11:20:23 PM »
Thanks Sue, at 6-1/2 lbs (empty) I don't think I'd want to wrangle with that 'tumble-up' on my nightstand.   ;)

I agree with you about not pouring very well off that rim.  I've always thought it to be a vase.  No witness marks for a decanter. 
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 04:11:17 AM »
I reckon it is a "Bohemia" decanter made c. 1950s or 1960s.   The ideas of numbers between top and bottom seems to be true for older decanters.  I have been told by a pawnbroker I was buying a Stuart decanter from that he had scratched in the numbers so he could keep track of which stopper matched which base - it made good sense.  I have never seen a new decanter or one of recent vintage that has numbers scratch marked into base and stopper.

Check in the narrowest part of the neck and see if you can feel evidence of grinding there.

Weight is not a consideration.  I attach 3 photos of a Webb decanter I own.  It holds 2 full bottles of wine and the stopper is bigger and heavier than most magnum paperweights.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 04:12:59 AM »
By the way in looking at my 10 or so decanters that upper rim is normal for decanters of that era I mentioned.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »
could well be the origin and date that Ross suggests.              Regarding 'matching Nos.'  -  can say that I have modern (post 1960 bottles) from Stuart and R/Brierley that have this feature  -  but seems they are found only to top quality pieces  -  ost of the 'also rans' are without Nos.
Never quite sure when this habit of numbering began  -  certainly you don't see them on Regency pieces nor, I don't think, on early Victorian decanters  -  I get the feeling they started around c. 1860, but not sure, and very interested to hear what others think. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand