No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: probable Chance 'Spiderweb' pickle jar.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
probable Chance 'Spiderweb' pickle jar.
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
Must admit I didn't realize it was a pickle jar when I bought it  -  thought it might have been for preserves of some kind.      However, there is something approx. similar in David's book (top of page 16), and the cut-out for a prong or fork is identical, so am going with a pickle - does anyone know what the fork looked like.

As you can imagine, the paint and chrome have suffered somewhat, and lid is a loose ish fit, so the smell of pickles/vinegar would no doubt have wafted.
Am assuming it is Spiderweb, but could be wrong - no marks of any kind that I can see, and am assuming mid 1950's.
thanks for looking. :)

Ref. 'Chance Expressions'  -  David P. Encill  -  2007 (but out of print I believe)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: probable Chance 'Spiderweb' pickle jar.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
Chance it is Paul,here's my variant, ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
thanks Keith - very nice too  -  assume you don't have the pickle fork either ;D

Those Matthey Crinkles are much better at wearing than ordinary paint, which shows it's age fairly quickly.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
presume this one belongs to the Chance pickle set as well?
http://rubytuesdaysvintagehome.com/item_480/ZSOLD--A-DELIGHTFUL-VINTAGE-CRINOLINE-LADY-PICKLE-JAR-FORK.htm
No idea about the fork but I'm imagining something with two prongs and either a melamine pale yellow handle or one of those with the brown handle that is knobbled to look like wood? (thinking of my Grandma's  ;D)
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
spot on I think m  -  that is a very attractive bit of painting too.     thanks for the link. :)

Looks to me like a dessert or table spoon being used  -  and although that may not be original, the profile of the spoon shaft would in fact fit the cut-out in the lid very well.

I collect pickles, so as it turned out this is a useful addition to my collection  -  all I need now is somewhere to put the things so they can be seen ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
Shelves are good for that Paul  ;D
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
I have plate rails, display cabinets with shelves, display units with shelves, two sheds, various cupboards, glass in boxes, glass standing in glass, glass in the loft etc. in fact glass in every room except the bogs (mind you come to think about it perhaps ;).................)  -  but nothing really good goes on the plate rails. :)
I do have my glass reference books on open shelves though, but not wise, since dirt collects on, and stains, the top edges of the pages  -  have a look at any book that's a few years old and been stored on an open shelf and you'll see what I mean.

Aside from collecting too wide a range of glass, there is the problem faced by all collectors of drinking glasses and other small pieces ..........   which is that such items can be seen properly only when placed one deep on cabinet shelves, preferably within the height range of waist to top of head.
I've built four 4'  x  4' glass fronted display cabinets especially for drinking glasses, custards, jellies, rinsers and finger bowls  -  and I still need more of that kind of space for tea mixing bowls, pickles, and celeries.
I also collect books, EPNS and plated flatware.      You should have seen the boxes of pressed pieces that I gave to the charity shop last week  -  broke my heart to give some of it away - but it had been photographed - and it was getting to the stage where I couldn't get into the sheds.

thank goodness my sons have now gone - anyone got a spare museum they don't want ;)

How about we store some round your drum. ;D ;D     

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
yikes!  that's a lot of glass  :o
I don't do boxes.  If I don't have shelf storage then it's got to go.  I have 10  areas in the house that I use for the pieces I want to have out.  I have one large storage shelf area in the spare room that has other glass that I treasure, so that alternates with what I have out.

The  rest is glass I'm not interested in any more and for that  I have quite a lot of  storage behind closed cupboard doors - but frankly it all needs to go, it's just such a long process selling it.
I don't do boxes because sod's law is that I'll want to compare something and not be able to find the piece I want.  That would drive me mad :)

My books are strewn around my desk, sometimes neatly piled up, other times strewn hither and thither on a flagstone floor - they will not be saleable as they are so well thumbed (and accidentally dropped in the case of the very heavy tomes) and I write on my books as well.  I don't have a problem with that.  I love books and the more they are used the better.  That is what they are there for as far as I am concerned  :)

m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
I can confirm it is Spiderweb. There were many variations on the enamelled, crinkled and gilded designs that I was hoping to document for Chance Additions*. The knobs/knops were equally numerous as well! This one is unusual, and I would appreciate the high-resolution photo if you don't mind, to include in the next book. The pickle came with a fork and the preserve (essentially the same jar and lid) came with a spoon.

Ref. 'Chance Expressions'  -  David P. Encill  -  2007 (but out of print I believe)]Ref. 'Chance Expressions'  -  David P. Encill  -  2007 (but out of print I believe)

NO! Still available and always will be while I'm still alive.  :D

* Still in progress - will be coming out soon - only yesterday I purchased an item that will be included...
(where will it end? With Paul's pickle jar? I doubt that somehow!  ;D )
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 10:13:53 AM »
M,

No idea about the fork

From memory, I think this had one larger prong and two others IYSWIM. The spoon was fairly conventional, about the size of a teaspoon, but with a slightly pointed tip.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand