No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Glass Bowl Shape/size confirmation please  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Monart Glass Bowl Shape/size confirmation please
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
Thank you.  :) - Its one thing knowing about the progression of the three firms, but its interesting to see how the times and changes impacted stylistically on the glass.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
although a collector of mostly clear glass, I can appreciate and see the attraction of Monart pieces even though I know very little about them and don't have a single piece.

I mention this as I've just received Part 1 of the Christie's catalogue from 1997 covering the sale of the initial group of the Parkington collection, which included his Monart section of something like nearly 70 pieces, plus I think a couple of Vasart vases.                The colours are stunning and beautiful.
As mentioned by Frank elsewhere, Michael Parkington's wife Peggy did donate the 500 pieces from the Broadfieled House exhibition to the museum, but since his Scottish material was in the auction catalogue, then obviously those all went back into private hands.

I've ordered the catalogue for Part 2 of the sale of his glass, so waiting to see exactly what this covers.

If you can get your hands on these catalogues they really are a treat, and cover many areas of British glass from the C18 to virtually the end of the C20.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 09:45:29 PM »
They even scraped the enamels off old tiles to get hold of coloured glass...
About time we killed this one....
The tiles were Vitrolite. This was coloured glass made by Pilkingtons for mostly architectural uses. The broken bits were gathered into tea-chest and sold as raw colour to other glass-makers. Both Vasart and Pirelli used this stuff. So the old scraping bit was just someones assumption when told that old tiles were used for colour. The main colours available were Black, white, light blue, grey, jade green, pastel green, and cream.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
Thank-you Frank.  :-[
I will not promulgate that myth again - and will do my best to undo it when I encounter it.

The Vitriolite was the bathroom and kitchen stuff I meant though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
Vasart it is  :)

Same bowl in a slightly different colourway shown in the link below (photo 7), with Vasart label, which i gather dates between 1956-64.

http://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t7195-vasart-glass-scotland

Thanks for all your help, always appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand