No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: blue vase id?  (Read 608 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
blue vase id?
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »
Hi all,this vase was cheap but from an antique type shop and if it was old i guess it wouldn't have been the price,so in the interest learning about old and new glass who do you think made this and how old do you think it is.It's mold blown soda glass with air bubbles ,it has a deep pointed pushed up base with a broken pontil and what looks like wear to the foot and just to add it;s light,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: blue vase id?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:00 AM »
What do you mean by "cheap"? Plenty of "old" glass can be found in boot / yard sales and so-called antiques fairs for less than UK £50. Is that "cheap" or "expensive"?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
Depends how wealthy you are i would say kevin,£50 to alot of people makes all the difference in surviving the week and to another loose change,or if you have a hobby you might have a limit you stick to as a rule :)i'm not sure this is old so £5 might be expensive,it is a nice colour though and functions as a flower vase.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
there's always going to be a limit to the amount of info that can be wrung out of some pieces  -  much glass defies a precise provenance/attribution or d.o.b.  - either because of lack of defining features, or verifiable age.                I think you've summed up its obvious worth when mentioning colour and utility value - and looked after it should offer years of service - provided, of course, that you like flowers ;)

I'd hazard a guess that you would have bought this cheaper at a boot sale, but paid more at an antiques fair (bristol blue attracts a higher price, often), and words like cheap or expensive are meaningless on their own - every comment we make is relative, as you suggest, so it's best to qualify comments and avoid doubt.
If your reason for buying was solely to put another notch on your learning curve, then I don't know that you are going to get a fiver's worth - I sense this to be of practical value only, and very much to remain a nony mouse.
As to learning more about the piece............hold it up to the light, does the blue change in any way  -  I seem to remember reading that C19 blues show a purple ish look under transmitted light - but not sure where I read that.
Can you feel the mould pattern both inside and outside of the vase?
You don't mention the top rim  -  fire polished or ground flat - if the latter then possibly Continental.
I'd suggest that the kick in the base (the indent) is an economical solution to removing the pontil scar - i.e. no need to grind/polish/remove the scar  -  you just push the base in while still plastic.   
Vases probably gain more wear than a lot of items  -  continually being moved etc., so may not be as old as first thought.

At the end of the day this is just another blue vase, and if pushed I'd suggest possibly Continental and perhaps first third C20.
Just possible to add that..........   a lot of late C19, inexpensive, glass - particularly in dark blue and green - was decorated with those enameled dots and rustic floral scenes  -  and the absence of this feature might indicate this to be C20 rather than earlier.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
Thanks Paul,that's a fivers worth and i;ve still got it to use ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand