No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pulegoso beaked vase  (Read 790 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Pulegoso beaked vase
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
Nice "beaked" pulegoso vase, 14 cm high, light azure colour, circular polished pontil mark.

I was hoping that it could be early Beranek/Skrdlovice, but I am not totally convinced.
Craig has shown a few beautiful early Beranek pieces which have a glossy finish >> Link, the colour is not impossible either (there was a Lichtagova vase in one of the Sypka auctions in a similar colour), and the pontil mark would fit, too.
On the other hand I couldn't find the shape in the pattern books.

Another option would be (Austrian) Jindra Beranek, though his work is usually signed...
Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Any input highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Pulegoso beaked vase
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
Hi Michael, I have had real trouble with this kind of vase myself. I bought one of these, similar a while ago and although using very similar techniques and finish i had to conclude that they may be newer than we think but at the same time, origin unknown, at for me!!

yours

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
Thanks for looking into this!
I was already a little suspicious when I bought it, as the shape doesn't look convincingly 1940s.
It was rather the colour which led me towards Beranek/Skrdlovice...

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:10 PM »
Michael,

I was going to say that I'd have doubts about Skrdlovice and then I saw Robert's reply, which made me a little more certain.  I've got a piece that has a similar cased finish and the same bubble structures.  I originally thought it was a Lichtagova scarf vase, but I've moved away from that attribution.  Interestingly (since you mention Craig), my piece came from the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps there was a Czech factory other than Skrdlovice exporting to there.

David 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
Thank you very much, David!

These Pulegoso pieces are really tough to attribute...
I think I can eliminate Skrdlovice.

I checked the vase once more, and technically it is more similar to my Venini Scarpa pieces than to any early Beranek.
Early Beranek pulegoso seem to have either a pastreous (almost net-like) surface, or they are thickly cased in clear like some of the pieces Craig has shown.

My Venini pieces have a rather smooth surface like this beaked vase (though I don't see a casing), and the same tiny holes from the air bubbles show in the ground base.
So maybe even Italian?

At least style-wise it doesn't look very recent IMHO.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand