No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another ID search Unusual texture bowl. Early Opalescent Pink English? Bohemian?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Hi Bernard, Paul went through Gulliver when I first posted it and found nothing like it. My gut feeling is English also, but based on gut alone and nothing else.....  at least at this point.

Thanks, Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Craig — yes, but then Paul hadn't the benefit of your latest images of the feet.   The solidly attributed Thomas Webb bowl on p169 has not dissimilar feet, for example.

One feature of this type on its own is not really sufficient for an attribution, but it can help reduce the possibilities.   I always try to temper my enthusiasm for an attribution by considering the likelihood that many of these glassmakers were taught their skills at Stourbridge college by the same tutor, so it's not surprising that one sees similarities.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
must admit that I'd assumed, from the first batch of pix, that these were snail shaped feet  -  looking again have to say that I was wrong.
This coloured, second half C19 decorative ware, is not my area, so cannot speak with any experience remotely and my earlier comments were based simply on what seemed to be a lack of comparable material in Gulliver.

The examples shown in Gulliver illustrate how the Victorians loved symmetry - their crimps and wavy rims etc. show uniformity which I'm not seeing in this rim.

Could be wrong, but I suspect that Craig may not have Gulliver, so unable to look at the example to which Bernard is referring, unfortunately. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Not trying to be controversial but is it possible the feet have been chipped and then cut off?
They look  a bit 'stumpy'   :-[
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The new pictures are much better. I might go with English now. Is it lead crystal?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Paul is correct in assuming that I do not have Gulliver..... 

As far as the feet go, In looking at the feet with a loupe they are likely cut down a bit. How much?  I do not know. I was fascinated by the bowl work itself and though it would be a fun "study".  I had never seen a piece like this before and probably did not look it over as well as I generally would have before buying a piece of glass.    ;D

As far as being lead crystal I do not think so.....

I would add though, that when exposed to UV there is a subtle glow in a shade of green which seems brighter and lighter than Manganese, but far less bright than I would expect from Uranium.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
possibly snail curls cut off the feet or they were longer and tapered into straightish ends if you see what I mean?
Gorgeous glass and colour btw :)

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I agree on both counts... the legs and the color....  and I am simply fascinated by the shape.....

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand