No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small cut drinking glass  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Small cut drinking glass
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
hi Mat  --  our sincere thanks for taking the time to provide a very interesting reply  -  look forward to seeing more of the pieces you have found after Easter.
Problems that plagued earlier localized glass producers throughout Europe, was the need for fuel for the furnaces and quality sand, and perhaps there were difficulties with some of these materials.
It would be interesting to know if there were specific characteristics of Greek Glass, or whether features were simply copied from central European styles.
What would a typical ouzo drinking glass have looked like in the C19?

Would agree that the piece you have shown looks to be C19, but we have others here who will know more about mid/eastern European styles - certainly the frilly/crimped rim also looks right for the period.
You'll probably be aware that the snapped pontil scar has a long history in the glass industry, and appears frequently on all sort of wares even to the end of the C19 and beyond.
Decoration with enameled colours, and gilding (which may possibly on this piece have been applied by means of transfer) was also very common, and the fact that this isn't lead glass doesn't affect the dating.
Alternatives to lead glass, would have been either soda or potash glass (the alkalis), but chemistry not my thing, so will leave to others to decide - although believe soda glass often gives the glass a browny/yellow cast.
Let's see if others can help to pinpoint an origin and date for you more precisely - but it's a good looking piece.

Thanks for the links - I'm sure we shall have some members who will enjoy this information. :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Re: Small cut drinking glass
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
PS: The glass jar I have shown in reply #9 is actually not greek but Ottoman Beykoz ware, see this post: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56687.0.html .
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand