No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pink flower weight, (eeeek!) Strathearn? or Perthshire???  (Read 2705 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: pink flower weight, (eeeek!) Strathearn? or Perthshire???
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
I can't see anything that looks like that!.
The centre "cane", the middle part of the flower, from the 3-D perspective I have of it, seems to me to have been made as a "cane of canes" - it's not assembled as a bundle in the weight, but beforehand and added to the weight as a single cane.

Is it any known formation of a "cane of canes"? I still cannot see it clearly, even with my closest close-up glasses and a magnifying glass.
It does have 3 of the same limey green sea anenome sort of bits in - but other shapes too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »
Hi again,

now I have checked and found Alan Thornton's article about two J-Glass brochures of 1978 and 1979 he has found,
Alan reports about it in the Paperweight Collectors Circle Newsletter No 113 from November 2013, and on page 7
you find the 1978 leaflet- weight number 6 bottom left is a "flower on a millefiori garland(blue)"- it has got a light blue ground,
but has the same layout as your- the signature should be placed at the tip of the flower's stem- although, I have seen examples
where the signature has "sunken" or toggled,

hope this helps, Kind regards e.
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Thank-you so much for all your effort researching this for me, both Dave and Erhard!
I have no access to this sort of information so your kindness in passing it on is greatly appreciated.

It is quite hard to see the leaves and stem in the photos I've taken - they're a dark green against the dark blue background.
(I have taken several - but none are any improvement on the one posted.)

It really does not look as if there is something gone wrong at the base of the stem.
It just ends standing slightly proud from the background, there is nothing missing; no holes or shadows or lighter bits.

So is opinion that I have actually found a JD weight? And it should date to circa '78-'80?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
Hi Sue,

I actually own the J glass LE that Erhard mentions. I have attached a picture of a few of my Deacons' weights. In the middle you should spot the weight in question. It is very similar to yours (but it has a J cane).

I am sorry I cannot give an individual picture of my J glass as I am away from home. This is the only helpful picture that I have on my computer. Still IMHO it confirms the Deacons' attribution.

SophieB

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
 ;D :) ;D

That is incredibly helpful, SophieB! The centre cane is different, but the squiggly stem is exactly the same and as you say, so is the layout. The leaves look absolutley correct too.

Perhaps it's different computer screens - but the blue background doesn't (to me at any rate) look any paler than my weight - it looks just the same!

This isn't the sort of thing I'd normally pick up (pink and flowery is not my thing) - but it did look a bit special as well as Scottish.

Well I never!  :o 8) :o
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
With regard to the colour of the ground - Mine is opaque blue and looks very similar to yours. However, I have seen this very weight in at least two other colour ways: one with blue canes on light pink translucent ground (I think the flower was pink but not sure) and one similar to mine but on a much lighter blue and translucent ground. My impression is that as for Perthshire weights, the design remained but the colours of canes and ground changed.

Of course, it may be that different colours meant a separate limited edition - limited editions in J glass were typically small, a 101 for these miniature weights  and so by having different colour ways, one would increase the possible production (and for those who believe that 101 is a weird number for a LE, the story goes that John Deacons kept one weight from all J glass LE…).

SophieB

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
Yes had one very similar at one time but have lost the photo when the computer went wrong. It was definately identified as Johns weight and I called it the "pentagon twist".
       Regards Roger

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
Thank-you, thank-you!  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand