No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dutch Flower Girl Centrepiece  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Dutch Flower Girl Centrepiece
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
See four images, each with click to enlarge feature, via http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-19862

Nicely made 3-piece set in pink, h. 17cm 7", d. 25cm 10", w. 879g 1lb 15oz.   Festooned with roses, she has a Dutch close-fitting hat and pointed wooden clogs.   I am not sure whether this is an iconic image of a Dutch girl from within the Netherlands or from a foreign viewpoint (like all Frenchmen wearing berets and strings of onions and riding old bicycles).

I would be grateful for any details of maker, dates, &c.   Oddly I can't recall meeting this Dutch Flower girl before.

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Dutch Flower Girl Centrepiece
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
1930s Walther Holländerin  in a Walther bowl. You should be able to find the bowl on http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de but you may need to look beyond bowls for the range or here http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Walther-VEB-Sachsenglas.24.0.html

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
1930s Walther Holländerin  in a Walther bowl.     ...

Christine — Thanks.   It is not obvious from my pictures, but there is a locating ring on the upper side of the bowl that fits the flower block exactly, so it's not just any Walther bowl but the correct one that is part of the centrepiece set.   Pamela only shows the figurine and block, so I am wondering whether she has the bowl elsewhere, perhaps as unidentified, not having made the connection.   I couldn't find the set in the Walther catalogues.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
A lot of the Walther centrepices pieces are mix and match. I have my Arabella in a Pelikan bowl, which she fits perfectly, but that is not standard, which is why I suggested looking for the bowl or its range separately.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
It's a Seydlitz bowl, which Pamela doesn't appear to have in any form. Seydlitz appears in the 1935 and 1937 catalogues

but Black Poppy does

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
Bernard, thank you for the alert  :-*

I have always preferred a Dutch girl in her   'Groningen' bowl with matt rose leaf pattern, but as Christine points out, any mix-and-match is fine:

Walther 1935 catalogue: page 110a - Dutch girl in PRIMUS bowl; page 111a - Dutch girl in WRANGEL bowl.

Walther 1936 catalogue: page 2 - Dutch girl in GRONINGEN bowl plus centrepiece HAARLEM with roses pattern and Groningen bowl on top.

Walther 1965 catalogue page 49: GRONINGEN
page 56: MARGIT
page 64: LÜTTICH

SEYDLITZ: certainly I've got a small plate and the creamer - not sure at the moment whether a larger bowl also. 
Walther's 1935 catalogue states Seydlitz as undeliverable.

:)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:27:39 PM »
Christine and Pamela — Thanks.   Sowerby, Jobling, and Bagley did similar mixes and matches, so nothing at all strange about Walther doing it as well.

I'm not sure whether you're saying that my set is pre-war, post-war or could be either.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
Late 1930s I would say, as Seydlitz seems to have had a limited life

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 09:59:16 PM »
Thought I’d post this picture as there’s few green uranium ones around. A complete set Walther & Sohne “Haarlem” With “Hollanderin” Dutch lady oh and two glass lion guardians as she’s precious.
Cheers 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand