No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Weight with knob  (Read 1473 times)

Offline m.eylersr

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US Glass
    • USA
Weight with knob
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »
Found this weight down in Florida in April (I'm in Virginia) in an out of the way antique mall and there is one on eBay for $200 plus !!  Would appreciate a second look by you folks.

The weight is about 4-1/2 inch high with a base diameter of 2-7/8 inch.  The center glass is olive green in color.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Weight with knob
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »
The form suggest Murano.  I have had others with identifiable Murano millefiori in the style.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m.eylersr

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US Glass
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
Thanks you for your input by confirming Murano.

The following link is for a similar weight for sale on eBay: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MURANO-ART-GLASS-VINTAGE-CYLINDER-ROUND-TOP-PAPERWEIGHT-WITH-SWIRL-DESIGN-/231201718801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d4b24211

Is the retail value in the correct range for this weight? 

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
Frankly no, I'm afraid ebay is full of delusional sellers, ask yourself would you have paid that for yours? Maybe $30 -$40.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »

Hi. I think some people in the US tend to regard Murano pieces more highly than many in Europe do, and pay relatively more for them, so Nick77 may be right that it could be worth that much.  I was in Venice yesterday, and on Murano you could get new paperweights (made in Murano) for abour EUR 15 upwards, and on Burano some Chinese made 'Murano' paperweights for as little as EUR 3. I did not go round any of the Venice shops, so I do not know whether there were Chinese weights on sale there.

Murano seems to be trying hard to stamp out the sale on the island of Chinese manufactured pieces with Murano labels, and at a hot glass demo at Ferro & Lazzarini the guide volunteered that 'we do not sell Chinese products' without anyone asking!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »
Hi Alan,

Some viewers may interpret your comment as meaning that the cylinder shaped weight with a knob is Chinese and not from Murano.  I don't think that your intent, but you may wish to clarify your meaning.

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »
Frankly no, I'm afraid ebay is full of delusional sellers, ask yourself would you have paid that for yours? Maybe $30 -$40.

Delusional is a good way to describe it. There are a couple sellers who come up regularly when I'm doing searches whose asking prices go even beyond delusional to ridiculous or insane. On the plus side, it's provides for some hearty laughter.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »

Hi.  To clarify, as Allan suggests: I think the cylindrical paperweight may well be Murano.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand