No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart? Gray-Stan? Stevens&williams? Nazeing?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Monart? Gray-Stan? Stevens&williams? Nazeing?
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
Purchased this lovely plate from ebay i thought it was in fact a monart plate shape YE 8" DIA, Ive also found similar gray-stan pieces??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=351054641551

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Monart? Gray-Stan? Stevens&williams? Nazeing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »
The colourway and the bubbles - (the whole thing, really) is very, very similar to bit of Nazeing (in a different shape) I know of being sold as Monart.

I would think you have a very good piece of Nazeing, for a good price. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
I would not rule out Monart, the shape is the same as the Monart catalogue shape YE, the bubble inclusion is very Monart like (IMHO) and the colour is one used by Monart .
A better picture of the base could be of some use if you could post one here.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
Do you ever go to Rait, Gary? You might find some interesting things - worth a look at, even if not buying.
There's a big, footed Nazeing cylinder vase in what I think is the same colourway as this (it's labelled Monart, but priced Nazeing). There's a Vasart bucket vase, in a pale white, with a whole load of green aventurine in it.
There is also a green (cloudy) Monart plate in Faircity antiques in Perth, labelled and priced as Strathearn.
(We didn't buy it.)

Bradbury - Gary knows more about Monart than I do - I'm a bit vague. My family collect it, but I don't, and I don't bother about looking at catalogues or learning shapes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
Thanks for replying, I havent the use of a camara for a few days thats why i linked to ebay..
I will post asap i have a few nazeing bits in similar colourway but this feels dare i say better made but as said b4 the nazeing production varies so much....thanks

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
I must admit I kept looking at that one  - is it or isn't it Monart?  As Gary says there are lots of similarity, but
I have also seen some similar ones in blue that definitely were not Monart, but possible French!

If it had been a different colour  I would have bought it myself (as a Ysart collector) - would love to see more pictures, sizes etc. to see if we can rule out or OK the Monart theory!

(the same seller also had for  sale a 4" high probably Strathearn green vase with dark top with aventurine (pretty sure it wasn't Monart as I got some base pictures from them though it could have been one of those tourist bits by Perthshire (???) ) They had it listed as some European piece or other so I didn't hold much sway by their descriptions!

it is a lovely piece though - love the bubbles!

Roberta
Roberta

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
Thankyou for replying i will try and get some base shots for you to see, The base has a small polished pontil scar in the centre, Then  at the edge of the plate it has a small flat area where the plate sits polished flat hard to explain i will add a picture asap. Thanks for help.

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
At last been able to get some new photographs please let me know if you need better ones thanks..

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
Ok, just to clarify - the outer edge of the base has been ground (but not polished) and the central pontil scar has been ground out and polished.
I have a Monart piece with a pontil scar like that, and the ground outer edge is very typical.

I would tentatively say it is a Monart YE shape plate, I think it is absolutely stunning.
I'm sure Gary will take a look soon and let us know his opinion.

I'm beginning to wish I'd bought it now, but at the time i had nothing in those colours and no room to display it  :D

Roberta
Roberta

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
Thankyou for reply roberta if monart or not im quite taken with the colours and they seem to change a great deal in different light conditions which is very attractive, I love bubbley glass!!!
Thanks dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand