No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Richardson Patent Measure  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Barmy

• Members
Mystery Richardson Patent Measure
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »
First the background:
Using Brian Brooks book Whisky Dispensers and Measures, A patent was granted to W.H. Richardson on 31st December 1869 with regards to applying a lead seal to Measures.  His son at that time was the manager for James Couper and Sons of Glasgow.  James Couper and Sons also registered 3 designs for Measures in 1869/70 (as found in Brooks book pg 22).  All Measures I have found to date labelled "Richardson Patent" and containing a lead seal have met the above criteria.  Below is a photo of one of these Measures:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/barmy1/Whisky%20Measure/0Q5A2751s_zps1196ea62.jpg

Now the Mystery Measure:

It does not use one of the registered designs that Brooks book has indicated that Couper and Sons used.  The Measure seems to be older than 1869.  It has a rough pontil.  It has imperfections imbedded in the glass.  The glass is not uniform (it is wavy).  But the lead seal has been stamped E.R. which would date the verification of the measure to after 1901.  It has "Richardson Patent" etched on it and a Richardson type serial number on it.

Did Couper and Son find an old Measure and applied their techniques to it after 1901?  I don't know.  Here are some pictures of this unique Measure:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/barmy1/Unusal%20Richardson%20Patent/_Q5A2728s_zpse98cfb10.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/barmy1/Unusal%20Richardson%20Patent/_Q5A2726s_zps126f7da5.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/barmy1/Unusal%20Richardson%20Patent/_Q5A2724s_zps5031fcd2.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/barmy1/Unusal%20Richardson%20Patent/_Q5A2722s_zps3d6b3d1a.jpg

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Barry
Barry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Mystery Richardson Patent Measure
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:24:56 PM »
hello  -  we've had the Richardson type with lead seal previously -  see this link  ........
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49321.msg278172.html#msg278172    ...
and that one which I still have is stamped     crown - E.R. - 35 .....  the letters signifying (I believe) Edward Royal (Edward VII 1901 - 1910), and the figure denoting Glasgow (supported by the Verification data).
Immediately preceding this would have been V.R. 1879 - 1901 ....   E.R. 1901 - 1910, and G.R. 1911 -  1920 (after which, apparently, these measures ceased being made).
My example carries the Richardson Patent No. B 623, but I don't know if all of the Couper Glasgow lead seal type measures do so  -  I'd imagine they probably do.

You don't mention what Nos. if any are on the seals of your Couper examples.       According to Brian Brooks, Nos. 34 and 36 were also allocated to Glasgow - whether this means that Couper pieces might equally be found showing any one of these three Glasgow Nos. I'm not sure, as I possess only the one example showing No. 35, but I notice that Brooks comments   ...."amongst the most common Nos. are 34 and 36 for Glasgow"" -  why 35 should be less common I've no idea.            Presumably these same Nos. remained in use for all measures produced - in Glasgow - between 1879 and 1920, the only variable being the letters denoting which Monarch.
Quite why Glasgow should have been given three different Nos. I don't know  -  I had assumed that 'one city - one No.' - perhaps it depended on the size of     Are there examples of other cities possessing more than one Verification No. ??

It's tempting to think that your mystery piece might pre-date 1869 (the date of Richardson's Patent), although my opinion would be that the rough pontil and imperfections in the glass don't on their own suggest a date pre 1869, but I take the point of your argument that your mystery item doesn't match one of Couper's Registered designs for measures, although again this doesn't necessarily imply old age.
Brian Brooks footnotes the three designs that he does show, as specifically having been Registered with the Board of Trade i.e. these have Rd. Nos., the details of which are provided at the end of the booklet. 
With many C19 glass manufacturers there existed a situation where they both Registered some designs but not others, and there is no reason so assume that your mystery item may well not be simply a design that Richardson/Couper - for whatever reason - chose not to Register  -  thus consigning its designs to obscurity.
Your mystery piece does have a lead seal, and as such can only refer  you to Brook's comments  where he says that  "a measure with a lead seal cannot date before 1870 as the date of the patent was 31st December, 1869"  .... and he seems to be quite dogmatic with that statement.
My suggestion therefore would be that your unknown item was unregistered, and therefore dropped off the radar, but the fact that it incorporates a lead seal means it falls into the date line of other designs shown in Brooks booklet, and contrary to your hopes is not pre 1869.

However, don't know that I'd agree with Brooks comments that "design and style of a measure is helpful in dating"  -  the three Richardson/Couper designs he shows may well have started life in 1869, but at least one was still going strong after the turn of the century, so hardly a reliable system for even approximate dating.           You may well be able to see this better since you appear to possess several of Couper's pieces.       
It's likely that provided the piece in question could meet a given capacity then aesthetics may well not have been an issue.    I dare say that the Glasgow pubs/taverns/hotels in which these measures spent their lives didn't care too much about looks.

Just my opinions you understand, let's see what others think :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
meant to ask why this is in 'Glass'  ?? :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:32:28 PM »
apologies - obviously not my afternoon.....

should have read..............."perhaps it depended on the size of the city??"

Offline Barmy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »
Paul

The mystery measure has a Glasgow number included on the seal.

I have 8 "Richardson Patent" Measures in my collection and have bid on at least a 12 more on E-bay.  All of these Richardson Measures are of the same shape Measure as the first one of my post.  I haven't seen one yet in the shape of my mystery measure.  If anyone on the board has a Measure the same shape as my mystery Measure and is a Richardson's Patent Measure I would appreciate seeing it.  I have others in my collection that are not Richardson, but use the shape of my mystery measure.

Thanks Paul for replying
Barry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »
Barry  -  which of the three Glasgow Nos. does your 'mystery' measure show??

Offline Barmy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
Paul   it has the number 34 on it.
Barry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
so we have now accounted for two of the Glasgow Nos..........   you have No. 34 and my one and only piece is No. 35.
and you're saying that all of your Richardson examples are of a single design  -  i.e. the left hand example showing in Brooks on page 22  - with the large cut hollows.......  my one appears to conform to the right hand design i.e. with the small hollows around the base.
What do you know of the design in the centre - without any olives/hollows and with the vertical cuts.

Presumably all of these Richardson pieces, irrespective of the individual design, should show just the one patent No. which I've already mentioned - namely B623.         I can't see reference to this actual No. in Brooks booklet though - have I missed it?
Do all of your eight examples of the Richardson lead seal type show this patent No.??     

Offline Barmy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »
Paul   In Brooks book, he felt that the one alpha character followed by 3 digits was a registration number.  He also says he has never seen 2 measures with the same number.

I have a measure with the number 36.  A majority with the tree motif for Glasgow.  And a few that the seal has been damaged so it's hard to tell what is on them.  All but one of my measures uses the form that is on the left in the book, but, I have one that is in the form on the right.
Barry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
firstly, apologies for my gaff...........    I had assumed, since I have only the one example of a Richardson measure, that the engraved No. was the Patent No.  -  obviously it isn't, and I should have read Brian Brooks booklet more closely.
As you point out, the letter followed by digits was some form of register No. used by the factory, which may have helped to record a manufacturing date or other production information etc.........and probably we shall now never know exactly to what these details referred.           It seems quite remarkable that no two appear to have the same details  -  perhaps each glass maker had his own quality control No. which was engraved onto those measures made by him.?

Must be careful when using the word 'register', since in this instance it refers not only to the factory's own records of the letters and Nos. engraved on the measures, but also refers to the Board of Trade design Registration system.          Brooks does provide the actual B. of T. Rd. Nos. at the back of his book (page 33), for the three designs he shows  -  Rd. Nos. 110942 and 43, and 237141........   I haven't looked these up, but am sure they'll be in either Thompson or the Blue Book, depending on when they were Registered with the Board of Trade.            Somewhere I probably have pix of the original drawings of these designs.
As you'll know, glass designs Registered with the Board of Trade, often have the Rd. No. included somewhere on them  -  either engraved or as part of the pressing.             Possibly because these items are small it may have been impracticable to include the Rd. No. details -  are you aware of any examples of these measures (from any source come to that) which actually show the B. of T. Rd. No. 

These are interesting items of antiquity - would seem we are looking for the remaining centre design from Brooks' book to complete the trio  -  they don't seem to have survived in quantity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand