No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: William Walker Bowl  (Read 1448 times)

Offline LarryB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina, Chribska, Skrdlovice
    • UK
William Walker Bowl
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
In late January I posted for help to ID an onion vase, and one GMB member suggested it might be a William Walker. Even tho' this turned out to be incorrect, the suggestion did give rise to two most unexpected outcomes. The first outcome was the strong personal friendship which developed between William and myself. The second outcome was this remarkable "Ardnamurchan" landscape bowl which William made for me just a few days ago. (Note for overseas members: Ardnamurchan is a very remote and wild peninsula on the far north west coast of Scotland). It happens to be an area which both William and myself & family are very familiar with, and the resemblance to the actual landscape is simply astonishing. The beaches, forests, lochs and hills in the bowl are exactly those places which myself and my family have tramped through a hundred times. I was present in the studio while William created the bowl, and it comprises endless layers built up one by one: first the distant horizon, then the clouds, then the hills, then the beach, then the loch.... each layer coming progressively closer to the foreground. The result is a bowl not only of remarkable accuracy, but also a bowl with a very distinctive 3-D effect. In any event, I'd like to share these photographs with other members, and also to warmly thank those members who pointed me in William's direction in the first place. Thanks, Larry.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: William Walker Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
You lucky, jammy beast! ;D
It's fabulous.
It's got my feet itching to get my walking boots back on, sadly not going to happen.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
you're welcome
and that's a beautiful bowl, superb colours and 3d effect :)

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
 :-[ I was so taken by the glass that I forgot to say; how lovely that you have made a good friend as well.  :)
Tht friends I have made through sharing an interest glass are worth far more to me than my collection, or any bit of glass, even the bits I hanker over and will never be able to afford. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand