No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a tale of two abused concentric paperweights. help with id requested  (Read 1145 times)

Offline sussexglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • u.k.
  picked up these two small pwts together at local bric a brac market last week. one is a right off or study piece. other chipped base. seemed a shame to separate them. both about 1 3/4 inches diam. glass tinted, bases more flat than concave. unusual alternate canes with flower centres. scrambled ground. looked at alans page on id of concentrics which helped but now stuck. any help appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: a tale of two abused concentric paperweights. help with id requested
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
Hello,
both weights are from Continental Europe, the area of origin is not yet determined, but they are called Bohemian-Silesian-Thuringian post classic weights. Peter von Brackel writes about these weights in his book, Classic Paperweights from Silesia/Bohemia, p.300 ff. Dates are not yet established but 1860-1910 is accepted as working frame, some of Thuringian weights even can be dated later to the 1930ies/40ies.

Interesting to note is that many of weights like yours appear in the USA and South America, presumably brought there as souvenir from the old home country by immigrants in the late 19th century.

Kind regards, Erhard
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sussexglass

• Members
    • paperweights
    • u.k.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
Erhard, many thanks for your scholarly information on the origin of these weights.
I had hit a brick wall. Dudley

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »

These often turn up with damage, partly because of their age, but also because the glass is rather brittle.  It is quite hard glass, and that has the downside that bruises generate deep cracks, and so these paperweights are very difficult to restore.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sussexglass

• Members
    • paperweights
    • u.k.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
thanks for the warning, Alan, yes one is badly cracked and a section is missing.  sounds like if I decide sometime to get the chips on the base of the 'good' one ground out and polished, it may be a high risk decision. perhaps  the restorer can practise on the cracked one. it seems small paperweights are at risk as playthings or marbles possibly by small boys/girls as a lot seem disproportionally more badly damaged compared to full sized pwts. my own hypothesis. regards Dudley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand