No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large cut glass amber vase ??? - ID = Whitefriars Pattern Number: 9016  (Read 1452 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Purchased this large stunning heavy vase yesterday it screams quality too me its very large at 10" in height and has a polished pontil scar to the base, Sady it has a chip on the rim of the foot but i fell for it and had to have it, The base of the foot has a good amount of wear which i like to see! Im wondering if anybody has seen one before ive seen this amber colour in stuart glass and whitefriars glass and other makers but ive not seen this vase before has anybody else??Thanks for looking...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Large cut glass amber vase ??? Stuart whitefriars webb??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
think I'd have fallen for it too....... :)

This colour has known a long period of use, and the cutting style looks to be very distinctive - hope someone can nail it down for you.

If one of the W/F's experts is available, I'd like them to look at this please..........   it has a great similarity to a W/Fs. vase showing on page 77 of Leslie Jackson's book, which shows a cut vase from the 1938 catalogue (pp. 2 - 4).
The cut lenses separated by a band of slice cutting, and with a ball knop, does look to be a possible candidate.
If this was W/Fs. then it should have the typical very high quality Whitefriars ring.

Unfortunately, I don't thing the catalogue item is shown in the Jackson's book, in colour, it's just a small b. & w. image I can see. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Re: Large cut glass amber vase ??? Stuart whitefriars webb??
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
Wow thanks that was fast whitefriars 9016 unbelieveable thankyou for your help!
It has a cracking ring high pitched ting that resonates around the room very heavy for whitefriars glass too. Ive been trying to find other info on the model but i cant even find another picture of it in the flesh not even on whitfriars glass website, Might be a rare model? Well im sure i will have some pleasure from it really stunning in the sunny daylight were having at the moment on my windowsill feels even nicer knowing its manufacturer thanks very much for info and your time in replying so thouroughly

Offline Patrick

• Members
This image from the factory 1931-35 design book. Designed in 1935 by Barnaby Powell.  A very expensive vase in 1935 ( a lot of cutting )

Regards,
             Patrick.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
It's great to see it  :) and also along with the original design  :D

I think it works out at over £80.00 in today's money, also in sea green (I was thinking what colour is Lea Gn  ::)  ? ).
Mike

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
 ;) thanks...
Im am hoping to sell the vase in the near future if any body fancies one with a chip to the foot? doesnt really go with my things although it is a stunner seriously gorgious. Id be happy for a collector of whitefriars to own it..Just message me for extra pictures etc..regards daniel
Thanks to the board fantastic site!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Always wanted that one but couldn't afford it as they have always been scarce and cost several hundreds  you are so lucky , Simply the best .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hi Daniel  -  I've sent you an email  -  hope it arrives, and would appreciate seeing a shot of the damaged foot. :)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
 ;D
Hi Paul, Just seen message thanks i will put you a picture of foot and extra ones of vase although im happy too sell im not sure of the kind of price its worth in this condition or perfect so as ive had one or two replies i may list on ebay and allow it too find its value that way, Im really not sure of what too ask! ! ?. Sorry for late reply ive got the kids over till this evening so might not get chance too list extra photographs till sunday morning...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand