No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood elephant. ID = Avondale Glass, Pembrokeshire  (Read 3304 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Wedgwood elephant
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
Thank you Christine.... sunny day here,  so should be good. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
hi Rosie - thanks for looking in and for your link details  -  so Avondale it is. :)

Happy Birthday - 49 again I guess ;)  -  not too many sherbets perhaps, but enough to take the edge off reality  -  Best Wishes to you.  ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
Thanks  Paul... as a tea totaller,  there will only be sherbert dabs (remember them?)  but it has been a lovely day.
 BTW Avondale never etch their glass,  they have a sticky label with  gold or black writing on a clear label with a glassblower on it and 'Avondale Glass, Hand Made in Pembrokeshire', written on it.
As in this link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avondale-Glass-Hand-Made-In-Pembrokeshire-Wales-Swan-Paperweight-With-Label-/121310200957

Here are a couple of mine... one very similar and the other with thicker less convoluted swirls of colour.
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
thanks Rosie  -  I seem to remember having a mouse (think it was a mouse) some time back, and that had the gold or black label you mention  -  it was given to someone else in the family  -  I might try and get it back.............I'm not normally an 'Indian giver' though ;D

So are these things blown partly into a mould of some sort, or are they hand formed completely?

I do remember sherbert dabs.........smallish yellow paper bags about 4" x 4" containing white powder  -  sounds dodgy when you say it like that ;D  -  and there was a quite small piece of rectangular shaped toffee on the end of a small stick which you licked and then dipped into the white powder.
Then again there was another version where you had a shortish liquorice straw through which you could suck up the powder (that sounds even more dodgy) ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Re: Wedgwood elephant. ID = Avondale Glass, Pembrokeshire
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »
I believe they are hot worked glass Paul,  not made in a mould,  hence the slight differences in them all.... I believe Nemmi has one on eBay at the moment and you will see from that there is a slight difference in the thickness and curl of the trunk. 
I also have others made by them with solid colours and speckled areas.... very different and quite charming.

I agree the dabs sound dodgy,  a bit like the white powder-filled 'Flying Saucers' still available today!
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand