No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How do you display your weights?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline smilingwolf

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Paperweights
    • Michigan
Re: How do you display your weights?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
Thanks, you all made me smile reading the responses.

Kevin H - funny!
Antonia - I never thought about garden art. Yes, a curio cabinet with glass shelves and lights would best show the weights in all their glory.
Alan - now that's creative!
Tony - your shelves look anything but boring with all those beauties.
Don - I'm sure you would prefer "gardens" of glass.
Dave - your shelving looks fantastic. Glass shelves really seem to do the trick with presentation!

Thank you for sharing your photos - my heart does a crazy pitter patter when I see shelves of weights. I must be in the right place.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
As everyone else, I have "Curio Cabinet-itis" as my preferred display preference.... {currently at 7}

.... BUT, within those cabinets I found a nice little item that helps display the back rows neatly, and so they individually show above those in front of them.

These "Cabinet Organizers" are clear lucite, sturdy, and you can line them up for shelving of different lenghts. I get mine from AMAZON online, and they are about $10US with free shipping for Prime Members. Made by InterDesign, and actually made for spice racks...go figure, grin!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
Hi.

We use a mixture of modern style wall hung cabinets, repro Georgian cabinets, and bookcase shelves, as well as window cills, and other odd places.  We used to crowd too many pieces onto a shelf, but by reducing the density you do not really need risers.

Using a reproduction cabinet means you can happily cut holes in the top and install downlighters...

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »
Glass, cook books and a guitar, what could be better !    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline smilingwolf

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Paperweights
    • Michigan
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
Wow ... inset cabinets ... very, very nice.

Offline Antonia

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
One caveat about lighted curios - next time, I would buy one that has at least two lights up top. Ours have one light. I have had to do some creative placement so that the weights on the top shelf don't cast shadows on those below. Same thing for the weights on the second shelf casting shadows on the third shelf, etc. That said, our displays still look beautiful with just the one light. We also have clear lucite risers (eBay and Amazon) for the back rows on each shelf. For the lower shelves, we like to use the layback stands - you can see more of the paperweight that way. The usual upright stands work best for the weights at eye level and higher. I could go on and on - I love paperweights!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand