No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Elephant, any info? ID = Made in Mexico  (Read 1490 times)

Offline kjsammy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
I agree with your research TxSilver. Thank you for taking the time.

Look what I found when I did some more googling:
http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=5399

There are many of these elephants. Made in Mexico.

"Venetian art glass collection bought in Italy" oh boy.

Maybe someone can change the ID in the header? Now it is solved.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
This is one of the reasons I don't trust people's "history" of an item without some kind of documentation. I had found the Mexican elephant in my file earlier, but since the base was different, I didn't know. I didn't want to hint it was Mexican, since many people won't buy Mexican. Why, I don't know. I like Mexican glass. It is a way some people are able to support themselves in a very tough country. I believe the label on my picture would be about 1970s, but it is just a guess.

The nice thing about Ruby Lane is if you find a mistake like this you can either write the merchant or flag the post. Ruby Lane takes it very seriously, so will take an item down if it is in error. (I wish eBay would do this.) I am writing the merchant about the correction.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Cristales de Murano was in Monterey, Mexico. 0wned by the Garza family. I was there in 1974. They brought several maestroes in from Italy to train the Mexicans. As I recall the Italians had the last name Forlan or Forland and I think they were brothers. I remember seeing their name on a studio in Murano when I was there in 1991. I used to sell for a sister company of Cristales de Murano, i.e. Crsitales y Pantallas. many "Murano style" pieces were made by the 2 maestroes from Italy while in Mexico for about 2 years andthen by their Mexican students.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
I forgot to mention that most of Cristales de Murano was produced exclusively for the Mexican market. Abut the ony bit of their wares that reahed the US were items tat people went to the factory or purchased in Mexico and brought back as individuals. it was not commercialy imported into the US. I knew the Garza family well. They also had another company that made prisms for lamps and lighting but were under licensure from an Italian company and could only sell them in Mexico.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Such good information. Were the brothers Furlan? They are a very talented family. Walter Furlan is the most widely known. His son Marcello does exquisite work.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
I had to come back to make a change. I am not sure Marcello is the son of Walter. I remember when I read about him that he was the son of a glass master, but it didn't say what the name of the father was. I was left wondering. It may actually be that they are brothers and are both the sons of a glass master. Maybe someone on here will know for sure. Information is sketchy about them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Gosh, so much information and so interesting.  Could it be that these Ellies were made by these maestros both in Italy then in Mexico?  I don't know. If the Ruby Link has confused the issue,  I apologise,  I can only show what I find on line and they are usually pretty reliable... and as Anita says,  if shown to be incorrect they will always change the attribution and with good grace as well. :)

The labels for the fossilfly and liveauctioneers are different,  so maybe the glass makers travelled around. Sad thay they are labelled and not signed... labels can be transferred, but most likely not in this case.

Whatever the answer,  for certain this is a lovely piece of glass workmanship and maybe the name Foreland and Loredano have become muddled over the years? (They are not dissimilar.)

Certainly a nice display piece Ksjammy and one I hope you still feel happy to own. 
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline kjsammy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Good Morning,

Thank you, everyone, for all of the information. I will enjoy the elephant. This has been a learning experience.

Don't worry about the RL link at all Rosie. I understand completely and learned from you that using the word 'sculpture' in my searches led to different results.

The internet investigation has been fun and it is so nice that others are willing to contribute.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Just for completeness,  I thought you might like to see this frosted version that has recently ended on eBay,  Unnamed,  but clearly the same design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Frosted-Satin-Art-Glass-Trumpeting-Elephant-Figurine-16-034-Tall-7-5-034-Wide-/191195151742?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AGB%3A1120&ViewItem=&item=191195151742
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand