No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy miniature facetted Paperweight  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Clichy miniature facetted Paperweight
« on: July 01, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »
Hi,
      I have acquired a Clichy miniature in need of some TLC as part of a job lot of paperweights. Does anyone know how common these miniatures are? It is 43mm diameter and 20mm tall. Each facet has a chamfer around the edge, so some care has gone into its cutting.

Thanks,

Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Clichy miniature facetted Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:01 PM »

Hi Tony.

I have seen more miniatures on the market than medium or large in the last decade - they are probably the most affordable antique French paperweight for collectors. Some are really very 'miniature', being under 2 inch diameter, like yours. I think that maybe 40% of the ones I have seen are facetted.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
Hi Alan,
              many thanks for the information. I guessed you would put me right.

Cheers,

Tony

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »
Looks like the one in the Bellmans lot from last week?  If so it had multiple chips on facets and 2 bruises according to the condition report I had?  Could be quite hard to do and could come out a very strange shape.  not sure it would be worth it as it doesn't have an rose canes, so worth something like £100 when done?  Some do go higher, but also seen them sell for £65!

Was that an Ysart in that lot as well?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
Hi,
       yes, a nice Paul Ysart, a rare and perfect Whitefriars ( 1953 vintage with initials in the centre, as commissioned at exhibitions of the time) which was my target item, a simple Strathearn, a Pinchbeck weight and a Murano.

The small Clichy has two small chips to the edge of the top and one side facet (circa 2mm x 0.5 mm deep) plus a few fleabites. A light repair may be worth it.  The non-Whitefriars ones will have to go over the coming months to bring down the effective cost of the Whitefriars weight.

Regards,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand