No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Sowerby posy vase , white marvered on greenish blue .  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
This vase is 7cm tall , with some age to the base and some smallish chips to the inside of the rim.  It's similar in style to this .....

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54425.msg308468.html#msg308468

Is my example a known Sowerby colour or could the moulds have been bought and used by another company ? The year letter is 1877 . Can't make out the day. The batch is 7 and the month is either D or B , I think.   Any comments would be fab ! Cheers , Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Small Sowerby posy vase , white marvered on greenish blue .
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
The lozenge ....
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »
Looks fine to me - well done. Cottle shows blue, black, red and clear base colours

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »
Nice Sowerby mould-blown piece - I have one with a translucent green base.

11 Sept 1877, Parcel 7 -  number 1244, 1882 Pattern Book page 4

I have other mould-blown pieces with chips on the top,  probably happened when the edge was ground flat when finishing.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:20 AM »
Thanks very much Christine & Mike , much appreciated  :)

This was bought at a car boot along with a Baccarat rock paperweight both for a few pounds each, but not from the same seller . It really is worth going to any car boot  very early (the earlier the better) !

I hope this can be added to the database of designs set up here......I don't know how to do it !

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=763

Thanks again for all your help  :D Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
I agree, this group are very attractive and colourful pieces.          I could be wrong, but believe the date of Registration was the 18th rather than the 11th - perhaps someone might check that for me - thanks.

I've had a look at TNA pix from Kew, and am fairly sure that this design corresponds to Rd. 314276 which was for a vase as shown in the attached picture -you can see the vestigial moulded handles on either side.
Let me know if I have that wrong.

Twenty one Registrations we allotted to Sowerby on the 18th September 1877, and I know we've dipped into this group before.
Fred is possibly the best person to save this one on the designs database. :)

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »
Apologies about the registration date - the mark is indistinct, I thought it was an 11. When I looked up the date it was the 18th but I wrote the 11th...

While we are on this kind of glass can anyone identify this:

It is 5" (12.5cm) tall, white marbling on a black (very dense violet) base. Top is ground as per the Sowerby pieces, kind of leaf pattern which is very difficult to photograph. I thought it might be a Sowerby piece but it is not marked and I have not seen the pattern before. The design and crispness of the moulding does not 'look' like Sowerby to me. The metal has a few pieces of white 'grit', probably picked up when the two colours were marvered together.
Did any other glass houses produce this kind of glass, any other ideas?

Mike, sorry to hijack your post
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
I can confirm that Sowerby RD 314276 of 18 September 1877 – Parcel 7 corresponds to Sowerby pattern number 1244 (shown on page 4 of their pattern book IX, 1882).

I will happily add the photos to the GMB RD database gallery and the GQG Sowerby patterns numbers gallery shortly (with appropriate copyright credits, of course).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
many thanks Fred :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
WoW ! You guys are just amazing  :D , thanks so much Paul for finding it !  I really hope this database can grow and grow , what a great idea it is ( I'm lozenge hunting all the time now  ::)  ). And thanks again (from me)  Fred !

Mike , please hijack away ! (I'm always doing it   ;)) It's entirely relevant to this topic and I hope you will get some pointers !

Cheers Guys !
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand