No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Registered designs 1870s &1880s from Max Sugar, London – info, please?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
I recently came across this pressed glass flower trough bearing the design registry date lozenge for 1 March 1881- Parcel 8.

(Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by pottersboy2014).

The lozenge corresponds to design registration number 362318, the registrant being Max Sugar, 6 and 7 Thavies Inn, Holborn, London.

I can’t recall ever having seen an example of this design before (or any other designs registered by Max Sugar), but I am told that it is shown in Colin Lattimore’s book on pressed glass, though I have mislaid my copy and am unable to check.

A quick scan through The National Archives online summaries for Max Sugar design registrations has revealed 7 registered designs as follows:

As Max Sugar, with an address at 75 Blackfriars Road, SE
RD 309695  26 April 1877  Class 3 (glass)  Flower basket
RD 309765  28 April 1877 Class 3 (glass)  Army and Navy flower stand

at 6 & 7 Thavies Inn, Holborn London
RD 362318  1 March 1881  Class 3 (glass)  No subject (but flower trough as posted above)
RD 372967  8 November 1881  Class 3 (glass)   No subject

at Waltham Buildings, Holborn Circus, London (and described as Manufacturers)
RD 10595  2 August 1884  Class 4 (glass, earthenware &c.)   No subject
RD 10596  2 August 1884  Class 1 (metalware)   No subject

as Max Sugar and Company, Glass Manufacturer, of Waltham Buildings, Holborn Circus, London EC. 
RD 11344  15 August 1884  Class 4 (glass, earthenware &c.)   Shape of boat flower vase.

Does anyone have any more detailed information about Max Sugar or his business activities, or have any photos to show of his RDs in addition to 362318?

Fred. 

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Registered designs 1870s &1880s from Max Sugar, London – info, please?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 07:58:42 AM »
Both myself and a fellow collector have come across what looks like an unregistered variation of this, with legs and a different pattern on the body. Having checking it carefully for number of ridges along the bottom, frills round the edge etc, it is identical to the registered one so we feel it has to be Max Sugar. I have done a density test and it comes in too high for a northeast piece. A rare example of London pressed glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 09:37:16 PM »
An incredible find then Neil.  Thanks for showing it on the board.
m

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 07:52:22 PM »
Hi Neil, I’ve been able to take these photos today of both these together from one of my mother’s cabinets, they are the same size apart from the legs, these come out of a cabinet full of similar pressed glass but from a touchy feely kind of thing I would say they are likely to be from the same maker due to their weight, texture etc they’re different from the north east glass, cheers Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand