No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bud vase with three applied handles , Franz Welz perhaps ?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Bud vase with three applied handles , Franz Welz perhaps ?
« on: July 05, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
I thought this might be by Welz . It's 17.5 cm in height. Any chance of a date and maker ? There is quite a bit of age scratching to the base. Thanks for having a look, ta, Mike. :)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Bud vase with three applied handles , Franz Welz perhaps ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
I think there is a strong possibility that it is by Welz......please scroll down to the very last photo of a vase on the right. :)

http://www.kralik-glass.com/welzresearchhoneycomb.html

Here is a better profile pic..

Mike

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
Looks ok to me, they did some odd shapes eh ? ;D ;D some of mine, ;D

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:20:46 AM »
Wow ! Thanks Keith , are they limpets attached to your bud vase ?   :o

Do you think these were made around 1900-20 ,  or could they be later ? Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »
and another trophy on a pedestal.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:26:20 AM »
Thanks Ivo, looks like the exact same combination of colours as used with my bud vase !  :)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
The pedestal , looks to me to be the same shape as the pedestal on the Novy Bor example but the trophy shape is different. However , given the decor , can I now say that this is a Welz vase for sure or is there still a certain amount of doubt (which without design records there must be, I guess) ?  Also, any idea of date ? I realise it's a difficult question to answer but would it be more likely to have been made during the inter-war period perhaps ? 
Mike

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
Craig has been working on 'Welz' for sometime and is probably the best person to ask, ;D

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:35:04 AM »
Thanks Keith ,  I'm still working my way through Craig's superb website !

I do have a lidded trinket bowl/dish  which has the same oxblood red plus white and yellow but also has a few spots of green . One of the green splodges seems to have mica in it as Craig mentioned in his research on Welz. The dish looks c1920's (perhaps 1930's) and I will post some pics. here when I can get a chance. Ta, Mike. 
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »
Here are the pics of the lidded bowl. The surface looks smooth but is in fact  wrythen  , it's more noticeable on the base but I couldn't capture it on camera. It's quite a wacky design (as usual !) . To my eyes it looks sort of 1920/30's ish , perhaps.  :) The pontil mark has been roughly ground and the diameter to the rim of the bowl is 10.5 cm (not including the clear frilly bits  :o !)   As I said above there is a small element of green and only one green streak has some glittery inclusions which might be mica. I thought this could help in some way for a date....on the other hand it might not !
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand