No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass candlesticks - Age?  (Read 468 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Glass candlesticks - Age?
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
I'm looking for any information on these candlesticks. They are just under 10", (298 mm) tall. Have a perfect, circular-polished, pontil mark. They feel quite light considering (992 grams & 1122 grams) so I'm assuming the middle section is hollow? There is also fair amount of wear to the base.

My assumption would be 1930's but I really don't know what I'm basing that on. Looking at images spanning the years I see similar designs throughout! I presume finding a manufacturer for these would be difficult?

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Glass candlesticks - Age?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
These look Victorian, 1860's, 70's,  the hollow stem, and the good wear to the base, polished pontil, sharp faceted cuts. This is based on my own opinion, i have no factual evidence to back this up, i have got a lot of Victorian glass, Paul needs to have a look at them.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »
I think your confidence in me - at least for sticks - is misplaced Chris :)   -    wish I did know something about them.           I did once collect pressed examples, but they all went back to the charity shop.

The more simple a design then the more difficult to date, possibly.          Hollow stems and polished pontil scars are not specific enough, although sharp cutting would suggest pre c. 1925.
I would have thought it easy enough to tell whether a solid or hollow stem  -  would make a great difference to the weight, and Adam  says they are not heavy. 

The design of these....  traditional baluster shape, with undecorated feet and largish sconces, follows a style that seems to have been not uncommon around the late C19 and perhaps into the C20.

My thoughts are  ... not deco, they lack the sharp linear features or angular shapes  -  possibly not quite the age you are suggesting though.
Candlesticks come in a staggering variety of shapes and styles - often reflecting the period in which they were made - and then there are the 'neo's'  -  the copyists get everywhere, just to confuse us. 
Few people seem to collect sticks, at least seriously.

I'd agree probably a non-starter finding both a maker and country of origin  -  but they're attractive and worth keeping. :)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
"I think your confidence in me - at least for sticks - is misplaced Chris"

I don't think so you put real thought into your explanations and don't commit to an explanation without detailed study and research.

Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
Thanks chaps. Some very helpful remarks for me to go with, much appreciated :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand