No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lattimo elephant  (Read 8514 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Lattimo elephant
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »
No problem David :)
Murano terminology is a minefield, and to be honest I just repeated the term "Lattimo" without checking at all...

Thank you for the links Mike. I saw the stunning red/gold one when searching for other elephants. I checked mine very carefully, but no etched mark to be found.
I guess that many companies may have made similar pieces (as usual with Murano designs once they become popular)

Michael

Offline ottogrunf

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • italia
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
hello guys I hope my English is understandable I have to say that several phone calls were necessary to understand what the term "lattimo" is correct when it comes to glass milky white from what I understand some of the glass workers use the word Venetian "latisin "that it was logical for me to translate latticino. even in the vocabulary barovie and toso uses the word lattimo

Offline scorpio

• Members
    • Murano art glass elephants
    • Ireland
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
That is a lovely elephant and I'm very pleased to see one similar to mine (I own the white Murano glass elephant you mention in your opening post). I only made an educated guess as to its attribution. Looking at the characteristics of your elephant such as the recessed feet and tusks, these are definitely similar if not identical to mine. There are differences too however, such as the eyes, the segmented trunk and the tail, which on my elephant is attached to the leg and clipped. Perhaps they have a common maker, most likely we'll never know.

The white and gold elephant shown on Anita's Murano Zoo is now displayed on the Moltabellaglass website (display only, not for sale). The black elephant she mentions is sitting on a shelf in front of me and I never cease to marvel at this little Murano art glass masterpiece (thanks Anita!). Anita and I had many discussions in the past about these two elephants so I'm very interested to read she now thinks it may be VAMSA.

Gordon

Offline scorpio

• Members
    • Ireland
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
I found the reference to the other lattimo elephant I mention on my website. It's at http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1682892

There are similarities and dissimilarities to our elephants.

Gordon

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »
Hi Gordon,
thank you very much for your comment, great that you joined the board! :)

You have a lovely Murano elephant collection, the Martinuzzi one is certainly my favourite.
And lots of interesting info on your website.

Really not easy to attribute these pieces. Thanks for the link to the other white elephant, the glass looks more translucent than in our lattimo ones, though...

Michael

Offline scorpio

• Members
    • Ireland
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
Thanks Michael. Glad you like the website. I haven't bought any elephants for a while but always keeping a lookout.

I do love the imposing Martinuzzi elephant as well but the black & gold elephant is just so beautiful and so perfect, it takes my breath away every time I look at it.

Enjoy your lovely lattimo elephant!

Gordon

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »
Found this one recently, the body is blown, the limbs and head are solid, 20cm tall.

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:04 AM »

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Very nice elephant, John.
I think the body of my "lattimo" one is solid (hard to tell for sure ;-))
The one of my golden Fratelli Toso elephant is hollow like yours, but otherwise quite different with his cute big ears and eyes...

Thanks Ivo for the link to the Murano glossary. Interesting reading...

Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
The elephant is a bit battered but I just could not resist it's mammoth charms. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand