No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etched Crown with 'JH' Inside Shield. ID = Josephinenhütte  (Read 517 times)

Offline KatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Hello -
I'm trying to identify the maker of a glass I found at a market yesterday - the etched mark on bottom consists of a crown over a shield - initials appear to be 'JH' inside the shield...

Another fellow asked on this exact mark in 2010 - not sure if he ever got definitive answer...one reply suggested Johann Haviland Crystal, and though they do appear to use the same J and H on their china, I cannot find where they ever used this exact mark...the crown design on the glass is definitely different than Haviland's.
Thanks so much -
Kat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Etched Crown with 'JH' Inside Shield
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
hi Kat - welcome to the GMB  -  regret I can't help with your request but wanted to mention - although don't think it's going to help to find the owner of the mark  -  but it looks to be a sand blasted mark rather than etched.
Sand blasted marks do have this characteristic grainy look with blurred edges :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KatW

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
Thank you, Paul - I appreciate the info!

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
I´m wondering if it might be Josephinenhütte. The label´s definitely similar, but I don´t know if they
ever used this monogram mark.
glas-musterbuch.de
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KatW

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
SOLVED!

Thanks a million, Dirk - Josephinenhutte it is...it turns out that I have the 'Josephine' pattern that was marketed in the U.S. under the brand name 'Josair.'

The info at glas-musterbuch seems to indicate Josephine was retired in 1958...but Replacements says 1981? So that part remains a mystery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand