Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Murano & Italy Glass

(Italian) Glass terminology etc.

(1/3) > >>

BobKegeles:
Can anyone recommend a good online resource with photos, that can help me understand and differentiate Italian, and/or glass elements?

When I look at definitions I have trouble understanding the differences between murine and cane and millefiori.

Between latticino vs. reticello vs. zanfirico etc.

Is a twisted ribbon a cane? or simply a twisted ribbon. Is a linear stretch/line of translucent color (like what you see in latticino plates and vases) a ribbon, even though it has no distinct edging or depth? 

I see the term "lacy filligrana" yet cannot figure out when it applies.

Is a cane that is a hollow tube (often hollow with a white interior surface and a bright color exterior casing) considered a cane?, or is it simply a "tube"?

It would be lovely if there were a pictorial glossary. Perhaps even a "blown schematic" like you see with machinery, or Ikea furniture instructions, LOL.

For that matter, if calling something bullicante, do I say a paperweight has a "bullicante" or a "bullicante pattern"? As an example, a classic Gentile piece is the "goose in flight" that floats over controlled bubbles, so I can't simply say it's a bullicante paperweight, do I say the goose is floating over a bullicante, or a bullicante pattern, or maybe even a bullicante element or effect.

I'm really trying very hard to not come across as stupid as I actually am, LOL.

Bob

KevinH:
Hi Bob,

I have split out your two questions from the single thread originally in the Paperweights forum.

I will not, for now, make specific comments on some the terms you have mentioned. But for reference, here are three older threads covering the general subject:

Murano glass glossary

Just some glass terms

Awesome website, lots of Corning photos, and a whole lot more

KevinH:
Well, ok, I will say something about ...
--- Quote ---Is a cane that is a hollow tube (often hollow with a white interior surface and a bright color exterior casing) considered a cane?, or is it simply a "tube"?
--- End quote ---
Yes it is a "cane" if it has been cut as a section from a pulled length of a specific pattern. But some might say it is just a "rod".

As for being hollow, that is very unlikely. Usually, what seems to be a hollow cane is simply a clear glass central section within the cane. However, I do know of one maker who has made truly hollow canes, and successfully set them in the item without collapse and without unduly excessive air bubbles at each end.

langhaugh:
Good questions, Bob. One problem is that there are a few terms used for Murano, and other, glass that are used fairly loosely. My recommendation is to understand the techniques that are used so that you have a clear idea of what is actually happening in the glass-making process. Your question about latticino vs reticello vs zanfirico is a good example. The term latticino is used widely to describe canes that are white, but the term isn't really a Murano term. Reticello is an established technique where a bubble is created in the middle of intersecting canes applied to a blown gather of glass.  Zanfirico is generally the result of rods of glass being  heated, fused together, and the pulled and twisted. I should say I've also e seen narrower definitions of zanfirico.

Two books that have helped me enormously and are very different. One, Murano Glass: Themes and Variations, is by is by a renowned glass writer, Marc Heiremans. The photographs are of very high end Murano glass. The other is Advanced Glassworking Techniques (ISBN 0-96387281-8) by Edward T. Schmid, who is a working glassblower in the Pacific Northwest. The  book has only drawings and looks handwritten, which was off-outting at first, but it contains everything you want to know about glassblowing techniques. And he writes in a straightforward, easy to understand style.

Good luck.

David

flying free:
'Reticello is an established technique where a bubble is created in the middle of intersecting canes applied to a blown gather of glass.'

Is Reticello the same as the 'Vitro di trino' described here in an 1852 book page 13?
http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook/The_Curiosities_of_Industry_and_the_Applied_Sciences_1000690907#17

The description in the book and also in Apsley Pellatt's book of 1849 appears to be identical to what is called Reticello, but in both cases is called Vitro di trino, not Reticello.

also a picture here from the Apsley Pellatt book which shows the little bubble in the centre of each cross thread
http://glassian.org/Making/Curiosities/page113.html

m

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version