No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano birds maker ?  (Read 690 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Murano birds maker ?
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
This one is foxing me at the moment I presume its Murano but could it be a well known maker. The reasons for my comment is that the bird stands 10.5 inches tall and has the silver and gold mica flakes but internal colour is pinkish, eyes yellow with a black dot and the base which I have never had before on a bird has been ground and polished and also there is a pontil mark which is ground, concave and polished. Any help would be appreciated.

many thanks
Malcolm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Murano birds maker ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
There are a lot of Chinese made birds around at the moment with silver foil like that... Is the base polished or slightly frosted?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
Hi John, the finger feet as I call them are all ground flat and polished and the pontil mark is highly ground and polished just like some of my W/friars and holmegaard glass. The pontil mark is not fire polished.

Malcolm

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
It looks more complex than the Chinese birds, they did not have any gold leaf or eyes like yours, Murano does seem a better bet.

Have you looked through Anita's Murano Zoo? https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »
Hi John, yes had a good visit to the Zoo a number of days ago but I spotted nothing similar to the birds features. I would have agreed it was Chinese except for the unusual features on the base which cast doubts with me.
Many thanks
Malcolm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand