No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium glass Rocket vase - ID = Libochovice Glassexport (Czech Republic)  (Read 3589 times)

Offline deeBee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • australia
Hi all, new to this site & hopefully i can get some help... Can anyone ID this vase & tell me what it may be worth to sell? 25cm tall x 23cm at widest x 10.75cm base.  No damage detected. Thanks in advance

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Uranium glass ID & approx value?? Rocket vase
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »
Hi - and welcome :)
Libochovice Glassexport (Czech Republic) before 1958, patt.no.1896. Shown in their catalogue, from "Sklo Union. Art Before Industry:20th Century Czech Pressed Glass" by Marcus Newhall.
Valuations aren't given, but a look through eBay might give you a rough idea. ;)
Anne E.B

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
Probably 1930s though, many of the items in the catalogue were made pre and post war

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:35:33 PM »
Price wise your in the right place to sell it. I have sent three similar vases over recently and with postage people are prepared to pay about the equivalent 80 to 100 dollars for them from me, My sister in law is native to Brisbane and she has told me there are very few antiques over there. Aussies love deco glass especially uranium and why not , beautiful designs. It's always a taboo talking cash for glass on here, it's all down to how much an individual will pay. Look on your Australian Ebay completed listing and that will give you the current market price.
Chris Parry

Offline deeBee

• Members
    • glass
    • australia
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
THANKYOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!! Very grateful for the info  :) :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
It's not so much a taboo subject, but nobody can say for sure how much something will raise at auction. There is no point in folk sticking their necks out, trying to be helpful, then getting blamed if something goes for peanuts.

And the point of this board is discussion and identification, dissecting out the history and correcting it when possible. It's about the glass.
We're not a "free valuation service for sellers" that could end up with the board being flooded with the sort of stuff that is uninteresting and irrelevant to our being and even, possibly, litigation.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline kimo

• Members
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Whatever it is I very much like the design even though it is quirky and looks unstable.  Respecting and agreeing with Sue's excellent point, I am not sure I would pay as much as the value suggested, but that is just me.  For researching values I have always found reading through recently completed unreserved ebay auctions where pieces have actually sold and there is no indication of shill bidding to be the best indicator. 

Offline kimo

• Members
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 05:17:48 PM »
Taking my own advice, I just did a quick search on Ebay and found an example that is very similar for a buy it now or make best offer for an amount that is substantially less and has not been offered by anyone.  If you search on Czech Stolzle Hermanova you can see what I mean.  "Values" are so hard to set and it always pays to do your research.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »
More excellent advice from you, Kimo!
I'm having a little quiet ironic giggle though, as there are a few folk who are quite happy to come here and get one of us (ie you  :-* ) to do the trawling and research for them.

Not everybody, I hasten to add! ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »
You might not pay it but that's i have sold them for and Ebay completed listings are only a rough guide they vary so much, The  Aussie brit exchange rate is 1 dollar to 55 pence stirling and the postage for that vase if it's under 2kg maybe £24.30 tracked, (44 dollars) the item price is often negligible, its the cost of getting it from A to B that's the issue. Now if i was in Australia and wanted to buy that piece of glass in the original post, what would i pay for it?, there ten a penny here but  i would imagine in Australia there not, so supply and demand would dictate someone would pay what i sell them for, i have met so many lovely Aussies i would give them away if i could.

As to value, i do think it's an issue, people love to know what there treasure might be worth, as of yet though very few things i have come across on  Ebay are worth anything substantial glass wise anyway.

I'm interested in glass history, i love it and collect it, sell it and i would help anyone on here if i could and knew what something was.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand