No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature Strathearn?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Miniature Strathearn?
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
Hi all,this little weight has very neat and tidy little canes,i've got it down as a Strathearn miniature,do you think that is the case and any ideas on dates ,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Miniature Strathearn?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »

Hi.  It could be a mini Strathearn (in which case 1965 - 1980), but it might well be a Perthshire PP3 from the 1969 - 1973 period: they were unsigned and had fire polished bases too.  It is difficult to tell a PP3 from a good Strathearn mini.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
Ahh,i see what you mean now Alan having just looked up the pp3's,it is about 4cm wd and3cm ht with a slight frosty look around the pontil and looking from below into the weight there is a frilly edge to the colour,exactly the same as the pp3 i've just looked up,also from the side the canes are quite flat as you look across them if that all makes sense,got to say it's a very smart little thing.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »
Had a bit of luck today in the mini weight department by finding a mini labelled Strathearn,studying the two together i'm now sure the original mini is a PP3,any thoughts,many thanks.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
As Alan has said, in many cases it is impossible to tell some of these apart as it was some of the same makers doing the same thing at Perthshire Paperweights as they did in the Strathearm company.

Sometimes a Strathearn example can look much better than a Pertshire Paperweights one. And the canes used at the start of Perthshire Paperweights often included ones used at Strathearn.
KevinH

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
Thanks for the feed back Kevin,very interesting stuff,i can see another book having to got!lol,if i'm getting this right, you can never be sure about these miniature weights unless they are labelled,for example if the Strathearn i found today was not marked would the answear have been the same?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Indeed! And not just for mini weights.

But I will add that if all of the the canes appear "crisp" and they are very tidily set, then Perthshire Paperweights is probably the best bet.
KevinH

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »
I found another of these lovely little weights today and i think another tidy one,when i got home i noticed it's bigger than both of them ,not alot,but certainly larger,is this a miniature or a standard larger size,many thanks.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06:59 AM »
I found some info on Strathearn P9 minatures and they have a wide range from 1,3" to 2,0", so i think it is a minature rather than another size up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand