No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Knobbly Glass Bowl 9" Dia.?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Whitefriars Knobbly Glass Bowl 9" Dia.?
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »
Hi all,   I am very interested to know if this bowl on Ebay is a Whitefriars bowl, Item No. 291205604208 .    I  was not aware that Whitefriars made a 9" dia knobbly bowl.     The only ones I could find during my searches is 9613 (5")  and 9614 (7 1/2") in the knobbly range.   The seller does state that the bowl is rare, so I am assuming it is Whitefriars  ::).  The overall shape too, just does not sit right with me.  The only reason for my query is, that I currently do have a Whitefriars knobbly bowl, that I had researched and thought this was the largest size they do (7 1/2").  Also I had noted that this particular knobbly range dicontinued between 1970-73.    Please correct me on this If I may have got it wrong.   Your help is  appreciated.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars Knobbly Glass Bowl 9" Dia.?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
Whitefriars did a 9" knobbly bowl pattern 9615 from 1964 until it was discontinued in 1969-70. The early streaky range was discontinued in 1970 - 71. The bowl you are asking about in the ebay listing is right.  See this blog
http://whitefriarsknobblies.blogspot.co.uk/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »
Thank you for your information.   That is most useful to know.   The Seller states also, that the bowl is rare.   If so, what is the reason.   Would it be becasue of the size in dia.?   It's just that I have an aqua bowl that is 7 1/2" dia. and currently having difficulty in finding one that is 9".

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
A 9 inch knobbly bowl is scarce, not many are seen.  Maybe not so many were made, or those that found their way into homes and used a fruit bowls, were eventually damaged by daily use and thrown away?  Any number of reasons. 

I'd like to see your 7.5" bowl you describe as Aqua. In Whitefriars terms, Aqua is a Full Lead Crystal colour and the bowls were only catalogued at 6" diameter.  I have seen a fair amount of Kingfisher 7.5" bowls, perhaps yours is Kingfisher.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
Right! so it's the size.  Thanks!  With ref. to the bowl I describe as Aqua 7/2" dia.  I can confirm, that is the colour I describe it to be, but will await your opinion.   I looked at a Kingfisher bowl and there is a significant difference when you compare it to mine, that is, in colour.   What concerns me, is that you mention that they were only catalogued in 6" dia.    With this in mind and reading your blog, http://whitefriarsknobblies.blogspot.co.uk/  You mention that G Baxter along with Ray Annenberg in 1974 produced a new range of knobblies which included the aqua colour.  If my bowl is confirmed to be aqua, could this be a 1974 trial run? 

A quarter of the way down the page of your blog were it reads: 1970 - 1973, pattern No.s 9613 and 9514.  Should the pattern no. read 9614?  It's just that I have been researching and came across this site that has a different pattern bowl for 9514.

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/british-glass-2/showitem-GREEN-BOWL2.aspx

You also mention in your blog that between 1978-1980 the knobbly range was only four colours Aqua, gold sky blue, all FLC and ruby cased.   I am wondering if my bowl was made during this period?   I am not too sure.

Please find attached pictures as per your request and thank you for your help so far.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:00:19 AM »
Re: your paragraph (1) On my knobbly blog I state the colours for 1974 were Streaky Marine/Streaky Heather/Lilac/Sage/Kingfisher Blue and Ruby.  I don't see a mention of Aqua - a colour which was introduced in 1978-80.

Re:Your paragraph (2) - the number 9514  is incorrect - a typograpical error which I will correct - should read 9614 - thanks for pointing it out.

Re: Your bowl and your photos.  After more than a decade of photographing Whitefriars glass I have found the colours of Cased Green, Cased Kingfisher Blue and FLC Aqua,  most difficult to capture the colours accurately.  Quite often they can look very similar.  And indeed your photos to my eye could be either one of those colours.  However, you can determine if your bowl is FLC Aqua if you CANNOT see any clear casing.

Is your bowl cased in clear glass?  I think I can see a thin clear glass casing in one of your photos, but would like your confirmation before rambling on further. I wait with baited breath!!!

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
Yes, you are correct.   I should have referred to 1978-80 in your blog.  I can say, that my bowl does show clear casing when held up to light, something I could not depict from the pictures.   I do agree that it is sometimes difficult to determine the precise colour.   Having looked on your blog I was able to compare one of your aqua vases to mine and they do match.   I would therefore say the colour of my bowl is definately aqua.  I hope this helps in answering your question.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
I am afraid you have misunderstood me.  If the bowl is cased which it does appear to be, then it is NOT FLC Aqua.  It is most likely to the Cased Green from 1964 to 1966 when Cased Green was discontinued.  This also validates the 9" size.  FLC Aqua knobbly bowls were only made in one size which was 6" diameter.

I am attaching a photo of another cased green bowl from 1964, which looks Aqua in the photo. It is pattern number 9525 from the 1964 catalogue (9" diameter).  It is one of mine and is definitely cased and definitely green.  You are not the first person to be a bit bewildered by the subtle differences.  And of course trying to get an exact colour match, as said before, can be hard with certain cameras and certain camera operators!!!

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 09:53:26 PM »
Terry and Martin's vase within your blog shows a aqua vase that I have to say, looks the same colour as my bowl.  The picture you have just posted does not look the same colour, more greener I would say.   This is not to disagree with you either.  like you have said, it could depend on the camera shot.    I am being slowly convinced that it could be green cased every time I look at it now and like you have also mentioned and ref. to catalogued details, that if cased it does not fall into the same catogary as FLC and of course, it is not a 6".     With this in mind, I will label this bowl as a cased green, that was made between the period of 1964 and 1966.   Thanking you ever so much for your help. Appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand