No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Multi-coloured vase / bowl - Avem tutti-frutti? Chinese?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: HELP! - Please identify this glass
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
I have no specific examples saved that I can point to. I have collected Italian glass off and on for about 20 years and the finish on the base of this, and others I see on ebay occasionally are unlike any Italian house I am aware of. Also, IMHO the general look and feel of some of these pieces seen more recently is just not "right" to me. 

The Chinese are getting very adept at producing Murano like glass, and I have had pieces you would swear are early Nason and others, that are not Italian in origin. They are actually reasonably good at producing some Czech style glass now also and I have purchased some examples of that and also the Murano style glass to study for tell tale signs.

In the case of this example above, the circle of white in the ground base is a trait one sees on Chinese glass that I do not see on Italian produced glass. That trait alone would keep me from identifying this as a piece of Italian production. Additionally,  the completely crude flat grind on the base is not indicative of any Italian house I have any experience with... modern or other, and it is quite indicative of Chinese production....  Yes they are getting better at details like this, but some of it is still produced rather crudely. 

We also see Murano style glass coming out of South America (Brazil), but generally that glass is better quality than this, especially when it comes to finishing details and overall execution.

I am attaching an example of a Chinese bowl that is offered on ebay quite regularly as Italian glass by sellers, and the base exhibits the same characteristics as this piece does, especially the ring of white. It is obviously larger on the piece pictured below. 

Both my instincts, and also what I know and understand about Italian glass tells me this is not Italian.  That is the best I can do for now.

A wise researcher once told me if three things point away from an attribution then it is not.  I would point to the following three things I see as pointing away from Italian production:

1) Colors are not quite right, at least to me
2) Circle of white on the base of the glass
3) Crudely flat ground and unpolished base

Hope it helps.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
In this case Craig I remain unconvinced. Many of these small vases have unpolished bases, they come in many shapes. Would you say this little posy vase was made in China?

I have seen one of the bowls you show with the white base before and have to agree it was a poorly made bit of tat. The trouble is using a white circle on the base to judge quality means that half of the Flygsfors Coquille range would be caught up in the dragnet. As would many other makers.

A given colour will change with background, try painting the same bright colour on top of both black and white.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »
I would be more inclined to steer away from Italy with that base. 

I did not say I used the white circle to judge quality. The white circle can be OK on some glass... I did not say it was a given for all glass....

I simply meant that for a piece of glass that is supposed to be Italian and possibly AVEM, it is not something that you see and it would steer me away from Italy for a piece like that.... 

I would not spend my money on a piece represented as Italian that had a base finish such as these examples.

That is what my instinct, experience, and the little voice that talks to me :-)  tells me..... 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »
I am amazed.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
Amazed by what?  My opinion?  :-) 

Craig

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
I have seen a fair few with rough bases, both big and small vases, it is a non issue to me. I suppose I am surprised by the inflexibility of your rule that if the base is rough it can not be Murano. There are exceptions to every rule.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
Let me rephrase then....  :-)

When I see these vases, I often think of the huge scandal in Italy a few years back, where Chinese glass was imported to Italy, labeled as Italian, and resold as Italian glass.  To me the sudden appearance of the base finishing technique in recent years brings large suspicion on that style of finishing work. One would have to believe that the glass being imported for remarking would have been made in such a manner as to appear Italian, at least reasonably passable as Italian.

I can say that I formed that opinion after handling Italian glass for a very long time, and coming to the realization that the ground bases like this on glass appearing in the style and manner of "Italian or Murano" have really only appeared in the marketplace in the last several years...... 

I suppose the other possibility is that they could be from a contemporary Italian studio that does not believe in polishing a base at all...... Just grinding them down. I would not rule that one out completely....  but I have serious doubts about the possibility of that one. 

Tutti Frutti pieces of glass with unpolished but ground bases did not exist, that I am aware of at least, 10 or more years ago.....  now they are fairly frequent.... something changed, and I do not believe it was the production techniques of the Italians....

As far as exceptions to the rule go, I agree......  but as of yet, I have not seen one that I would agree applies here.  I am always open to that though....

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
Perhaps the European market has escaped the massive influx of Chinese Murano more so than us in the U.S. Over here the Murano market has suffered as more than a few question authenticity especially in light of base treatments that simply were not present 15 years ago & now are commonplace which either means as Craig stated (1) the Murano masters have modified their old established techniques & adopted the unpolished/unfinished bases or (2) its far eastern Murano. Over here the Murano market I think its fair to say has gone into the dumpster because of the massive imports therefore many of us are more than a bit skeptical when so many exceptions keep showing up. All one has to do is check Alibaba Global (mainland China) Chinese Murano productions/offerings to perhaps understand our caution & bye all means pay attention to both the number of offerings & number of suppliers.

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/murano-glass-vases.html

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Multi-coloured vase / bowl - Avem tutti-frutti? Chinese?
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 02:15:50 AM »
I have been reading this with interst and bored on night's at work i have been looking at the alibaba web link, looked through 1500 bits of glass  (there are  thousands more) and found these 4 slightly similar to the post and nothing like the quality of Johns.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Murano-Glass-Vase-Wholesale_1660286913.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Murano-vase-for-home-decor_471279444.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Antique-Murano-Colored-Glass-Vases-Wholesale_1546666589.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2012-new-glass-vase_597929946.html

I'm trying to stay out this argument but i have to say John is rarely wrong when it comes to knowing his glass.

Why do they just not polish the glass bases to make a good copy?.
Chris Parry

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Multi-coloured vase / bowl - Avem tutti-frutti? Chinese?
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »

Why do they just not polish the glass bases to make a good copy?.

The object is to make a passable copy they can sell inexpensively, and quality cold work takes time = costs too much money.

And those examples are simply the examples you can find on there now.....  they change a lot.....  and unfortunately, that is the mere microscopic  tip of a very very large iceberg......

And I agree that John is quite knowledgeable.......  this is not about being right or wrong.....  it is about perspectives.....  and as has been said.... ours here in the colonies may simply be different.....  wright or wrong???  who knows.... just different.....

If we all agreed on everything there would be no need for a forum   :-)

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand