No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hi guys is this a c1880 salviati murano bowl?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Hi guys is this a c1880 salviati murano bowl?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 09:50:22 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 09:54:33 PM »
Not eater sorry I meant rather English

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
Venice and Murano Glass Company limited - which is Salviati. We are just quibbling about the place of manufacture and we seem to have deviating information here.

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
Thank you, love the deviation though fascinating and informative thanks x

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
Just noted the following in the v & a on line
1877 Salviati split up with The Venice and Murano Glass Co. Ltd. At Paris 1878 both companies exhibited independently.
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons but you guys may already know this x

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »
Salviati needed investors to expand his business and he looked to England for financial backing. On the 21st December 1866 with investors including Sir Austen Henry Layard they set up the company Societa Anonima per azioni Salviati & C., it was based in London and had a factory on Murano. Within two years a second and larger London shop was opened. Tensions grew and in 1872 the company name was changed to Venice and Murano Glass and Mosaic Company Limited (Salviati & C.)

In 1877 Salviati and the English went their separate ways, Salviati was bought out of the company. The company kept the Venice shop and a furnace on Murano.

All the info is from the book I mentioned earlier (Confections in Glass), it goes on to chart Salviati's ongoing progress (like forming another company called Salviati & C...) but there is no more mention of the English players. I have not had a chance to look at the other books for further info, maybe tomorrow.

Just to add another layer of complexity the Salviati shops sold glass made by other furnaces on Murano and of course in was in the same style too.

Sue, there is this kind of 'folded foot' (3rd photo): http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,43932.0.html
where a rim is actually folded right back over very tightly. The original bowl in this thread has a different sort of fold I guess. Same as this little bowl, here looking into it from above: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/GlassFromMurano#5906737550716197554

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 07:12:06 AM »
Hi just found the finger bowl on line for sale, appears it came with a matching plate, but if am happy with my find it's mint no chips or cracks!

[Mod: Please note that posting other people's images into the GMB is not permitted unless permission has been given and is stated with the post. Adding a link to the image is acceptable.

Image removed as per Board Policy: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24434.msg136195.html#msg136195 ]

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
ooooh grrrrrrr, the limitations of comunicating in writing!
I did learn from you, Paul about what you call a folded foot, ie. for the strengthening of thin glass by doubling it over.
I was only poking my nose in here because the bowl in question is an example of a completely different kind of folded foot, and is what I had thought "folded foot" was when you were talking about them at first.
piccies! If you look carefully, you'll see that a dark ring of dust has got trapped in the very fine deep recess of the fold, I left it to illustrate that the recess is there.  ;)

I do understand what you mean by folded foot. I was only pointing out, in general, that there other things which can be honestly be described as folded feet. A source of confusion in the terminology. ;D
Not trying to confuse things further, which is what I appear to have done.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »
understand perfectly what you mean Sue :)  -  I think however, that the expression 'folded foot', has entered common glass collecting parlance with the specific purpose of describing those neat folds on the edges of feet of drinking glasses etc..... and it's this feature that most folk will bring to mind  .....  rather than the more substantial constructional feature you're suggesting.

apologies to the op that we've digressed slightly - so nothing more about f.f.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand