No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Most likely American 1970s but . . . ID = Stephen Fellerman, USA  (Read 2081 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
I have a pair of these pieces. They're very typical for the American Studio era that is by far my favorite paperweights, the studio Art Nouveau w8s of the 70's.

There are several features that make this one quite different however.

1) The base is quite distinct for an American piece of that time, (I'm showing one, but both are the same) Every other piece I've had from that time (Orient & Flume, Lundberg, Abelman, Correia, Vandermark, Phoenix, Zephyr, Union Jack, Crider,etc) has a totally flat base, generally the matte white of the inner weight. While this one is distinctively recessed, with a rolled edge, and what I would almost call a "stretched" iridescence.

2) Again, every other piece I'm familiar with (I won't repeat the litany) features a smooth finished background, (most matte, some glossy, and some translucent) but all smooth, and uniform. These feature a very "organic" feeling, smooth to the touch, but very earthy natural feeling.

My eyes keep picking up scratch signatures around the base ridge, but it's just looking too hard, i keep picking up the coarse edges, as a scratch siggy.

The iridescence is what I would call a "soft gloss", not shiny sharp gloss, but not satin (like the classic O&F), but somewhere in between.

Any thoughts?
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: Most likely American 1970s but . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »
It may be by Nick Del Matto, Logan, OH. he didn't polish the bottoms of his for many years. contact him and see.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
Re: Most likely American 1970s but . . .
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
Great call!

I didn't contact Nick, but ran across a signed piece today (talk about coincidence), same flower on top, a less organic earthy feel to the background, and a very similar base.

Thanks for your help!

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
Re: Most likely American 1970s but . . .-- ID - Stephen Fellerman
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
Okay, I was wrong about Nick Del Matto.

This is a Fellerman piece (I just picked up another in the same series).

Thanks for everyone's help.
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand