No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart or not ?  (Read 7522 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Monart or not ?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Thank you Frank a lot clearer now.

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:39:11 PM »
amazing all the experts have disappeared  ::)
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
I'm still here ?   lol

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »
 ;D lol so u r chris lol

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 11:39:17 PM »
me 2 but who are the experts?

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:11 AM »
Please tell us who the experts are and on what subject they are experts on.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »
ah maybe I should have made myself clearer, il try again
[Mod: For simplicity, earlier and much shorter post removed as now replaced with the following text]

all the monart experts used to be plenty , also is that a hint of sarcasm?, I hope you really didn't think I was meaning you hahahahaha , do I have to explain myself to any of you guys no I think not , if you don't like what I write then don't reply , also best way to know whats a fake /copy or just another piece is to see and handle it , theres a fine line between fakes and in the style of , oh wait now experts eh id say Frank and Nigel for sure , but we have had Franks thoughts, im sure Nigel will be along at some point to add his thoughts  and  im sure there are others and it would be nice for their thoughts on these pieces , like I said if you don't like what I write then don't reply , fakes/copies or just in the style of actually fascinates me in Ysart glass, something I was very interested in since being in a house in the Perthshire area around 14 years ago and was lucky or unlucky enough to have seen a vast quantity of them, but these ones were fakes and to be or should I say were being sold as Monart , they even came with there own little fake labels that were on poor quality paper , some of the pieces I seen were spot on for shape and size just the colourways that let them down oh and the poor labels which the print would disappear when rubbed as mentioned on the ysart glass site, pieces included a few so called apprentice mushroom lamps with the worst attempt at a brass cast fitting, the fitting was cut out of a piece of flat brass plate the soldering etc was terrible and the glass shades were kept in place with blue tac , the applied feet on them were dark dark purple almost black and were not surface decorated like the reals ones,  I was actually shown several boxes of glass which were packed for going to fairs etc with,  there was a few real nice genuine pieces but a lot more naughty ones , I was offered to purchase any of the pieces but decided that I wouldn't bother not even the nice real pieces as I didn't want to line this bad persons pockets nor become his next victim, I also heard of the elderly couple who spent a large amount of their retirement funds buying pieces of monart most which turned out to be these fakes , how very very sad , . as for the ones in this auction then yes these are probably from that era, the ones on ebay well im not too sure as they certainly aren't in the same league as they do not really resemble any proper monart bowls I know of so I would say these were later pieces in the style of more than fakes , as surely the maker could see they did not in any way resemble the real thing , so il say it again where has all the experts gone as I would love to hear others thoughts on this subject ,  oh and remember look before you leap

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 10:48:30 AM »
I know this may sound 'naive' Gary and I am talking more about the fake paperweights purely because I know very little about the vases and lamps. Am I right in presuming probably only a 2 or 3 people would have had the skill and resources to make the fake PY weights? Seen lot's of comments like these over the years.

" One batch of miniature Monart vases with faked labels were probably made in London by a now respected glass artist, during the 1980's."

"I presume the mastermind was never caught, but is known to some."

"Still selling, still getting garbage made and selling as Monart, Vasart... probably involved in 100% of all Scottish fakes."

"I don't suppose there is a way of surgically extracting it to leave you with simply a very well executed weight, not pretending to be something else......
So; does anybody know who the highly skilled lampworker was?  ::)

"There's no doubt that everyone who is an expert on paperweights, especially paperweights from Scotland, has mentioned the name of the fake Ysart maker in private. There are only a handful of paperweight makers who could have made these weights. The name is certainly well-known to you and to all of us. "

"I was teasing a bit - I'm well aware who he is!"

Seems everyone North of the border and a few South too know lol

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »
I have seen several of these weights with the fake PY cane , and they are brilliant weights just the PY cane to me is the give away as I have no clue about weights , even though these weights were making good money even when known to be fake, I presume folk adding them to their collection so they could have an example of them , I wouldn't like to try and think who could have made them though  ::)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 08:40:01 PM »
Presumably, naming someone publicly in this context could easily result in legal action.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand