No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare yellow-green uranium glass vase from Edward Moore RD 82606, 1887.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
On 30 September 1887, Edward Moore & Co., South Shields, registered design number 82606.

The design seems to have been for a combination of shape and pattern. The shape usually involves a gadrooned lower bowl, sometimes with a rope twist top rim, and/or one or more rope twist handles, all above a circular, radially-ribbed foot. The pattern is found above the gadroons on the bowl and is an embossed pattern of thistles and daisies linked by their stems.

The most common pieces seen from this RD number are a footed creamer, a two-handled sugar bowl on a short stem, and a two-handled covered sugar bowl (often missing its cover) on a very short stubby stem. I have only ever seen these pieces in clear glass, always marked with RD number, and the decorative pattern of thistles and daisies always seems to on a stippled background.

Now I have come across a footed flared vase in transparent pale yellow-green uranium glass (very UV-reactive), with no apparent identifying marks, but with shape and pattern that can only have come from Edward Moore’s RD 82606. The vase is 17cms high with a 12.75cms diameter top and a 9cms diameter base. The bottom of the vase bowl has the expected gadroons (somewhat twisted, as on the creamer); above the gadroons, the top of the vase bowl (with a plain scalloped top rim rather than a rope twist rim) flares out, and is decorated with the usual embossed thistles and daisies (though on a plain rather than a stippled background); the vase has a radially-ribbed foot (but no stem).

(Permission for the re-use of the images of this uranium glass vase on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

Most pieces by Edward Moore & Co. seem to be in clear glass, though I have never seen an example of this particular vase pattern before, marked or unmarked, even in clear glass.  Furthermore, the only other pattern in yellow-green uranium glass pattern attributable to Edward Moore & Co. that I am aware of is a stemmed, narrow goblet-shaped spill vase from an unregistered design (see http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=430 ). 

Does anyone have other attributed Edward Moore pieces in uranium glass to show, please?

Does anyone have either an example of this vase in clear glass to show, please, or examples of the other RD 82606 shapes to show with the embossed the thistle & daisy pattern on a plain (non-stippled) background.?

Fred

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Hi Fred, here are some pieces that we have for rd 82606.
Regards Mike

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you, Mike.

I've not come across the dish before.

Fred.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)